Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

HELP - TT front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:02 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP - TT front end noise

I have recently started to hear a scary noise coming from my front end. The noise is something between a knock and grind and I believe it might be related to my clutch or trans. The car only makes the noise when the car is IN GEAR (doesn't matter which gear) and either decelerating or when I'm not on the pedal AT ALL. The noise will go away when I give the car any gas. The sound becomes quicker with the speed of the car, but is not related to the RPMs of the engine. Also, the sound is not affected by whether or not I'm turning or using the brakes. Does anyone have any idea of what this could be?

Another interesting tidbit: the sound used to ONLY start after I had driven the car at a high speed (70+). The sound is the loudest when I'm in gear, not giving the car any gas, and rolling along at about 30.

Any suggestions before I take this in with a blank stare and open wallet?

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2008, 05:36 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: HELP - TT front end noise

Any ideas? At all?

Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm make believe

You could have worn out mounts. When i did my dogbone mount (connects bottom of trans to frame), the mounts were falling apart. If its part of the clutch/tranny, change the fluid to Redline MT-90 fluid.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:53 PM
2nd Gear

cv joints?

Old 03-12-2008, 09:00 PM
1st Gear

I had a knocking/rattling sound before from the engine bay. would you be able to isolate from where abouts in the engine were you hearing the sound? It might help the guys figure out what parts are around the noise. Mine came from the passenger side of the engine and turned out to be a failed timing belt tensioner. the noise only happened between 1300 - 2000 rpm.

g'luck

Old 03-12-2008, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

My noise is coming from the drivers side. Im not sure if it's related, but I also have a minor knock when I hit bumps coming from that area. That knock is loudest when the car is cold, but goes away for the most part after I've driven a few miles. The knock I'm concerned about (subject of this post) only occurs when I am in gear and NOT giving the car any gas; as soon as I give it gas or take it out of gear, the noise goes away. Would this happen if my CV joint was bad?

Old 03-13-2008, 12:58 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Hitchr10

My noise is coming from the drivers side. Im not sure if it's related, but I also have a minor knock when I hit bumps coming from that area. That knock is loudest when the car is cold, but goes away for the most part after I've driven a few miles. The knock I'm concerned about (subject of this post) only occurs when I am in gear and NOT giving the car any gas; as soon as I give it gas or take it out of gear, the noise goes away. Would this happen if my CV joint was bad?
This is most likely the ever annoying front sway bar. Mine does the same thing. When I redid the bushings on mine, no one told me i'm supposed to cut off the plastic part on the sway bar that the bushings attach to.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:00 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Hitchr10

I have recently started to hear a scary noise coming from my front end. The noise is something between a knock and grind and I believe it might be related to my clutch or trans. The car only makes the noise when the car is IN GEAR (doesn't matter which gear) and either decelerating or when I'm not on the pedal AT ALL. The noise will go away when I give the car any gas. The sound becomes quicker with the speed of the car, but is not related to the RPMs of the engine. Also, the sound is not affected by whether or not I'm turning or using the brakes. Does anyone have any idea of what this could be?

Another interesting tidbit: the sound used to ONLY start after I had driven the car at a high speed (70+). The sound is the loudest when I'm in gear, not giving the car any gas, and rolling along at about 30.

Any suggestions before I take this in with a blank stare and open wallet?

Thanks!
I agree with Cincy, it could be the mounts.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:00 PM
1st Gear

Well, it's in the shop....we'll see what it is tomorrow (hopefully)....

Stay tuned....

Old 03-14-2008, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

They don't have any clue....CRAP

Quick Reply: HELP - TT front end noise