Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

How do i change my fuel pump and fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Default How do i change my fuel pump and fuel filter?

How do i change my fuel pump and fuel filter? Does anyone know how to change these because at start up my car makes a loud winding noise and it was suggested to me that its my fuel pump..

And also my car jerks and sputters in the first couple of minutes after i start my car and its usually only after my car has been sitting for a while..

fyi I have recently changed my spark plugs and coils as well..

Any suggestions..please help

2000 audi tt 180hp..borla exhaust/giac chip/forge dv/neuspeed intake/

Old 09-29-2009, 05:48 PM
5th Gear

pull the rear seat bottom out (yank up on front edge to pop clips loose), and you'll see 2 black metal covers. Remove passenger side cover. Look at big plastic screw cap, and think your He-man arms are gonna unscrew it. Try to unscrew it. Realize you're not that strong, and go find a block of wood and a hammer to tap it loose enough you CAN do it by hand.

(BTW, those are your fuel lines coming thru the cap, you'll need to remove them, theres probably a tool, main thing is, don't break the plastic lines).

Once that cap is unscrewed, you can lift the pump out of the tank, and do what you have to to swap for the new one.

Fuel filter is in-line, under the car. Remove the black plastic underbody panel on teh passenger side and you should see it.

Actually, do the filter first, and if you still have a problem, start thinking about the pump.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:49 PM
5th Gear

oh, and if you do open up the fuel tank with the big plastic caps, make sure to hammer-screw the caps back on good and tight, or you'll end up with a evap code for a vacuum leak or something.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:20 PM

thanks for the info it is really appreciated..

Old 10-08-2009, 05:29 PM

the lines running into and out of the fuel filter can be removed by squeezing down with your fingers and then pull. be gentle and dont break them or you will have a mess on your hands...they are kinda tricky but once you get it is easy

Old 10-08-2009, 08:59 PM
2nd Gear

this is an old thread, but remember to have a mostly empty tank!

Old 10-09-2009, 05:41 PM
5th Gear

good call! I totally forgot about that part. First time I took the cover off the fuel sender, it was with an almost full tank.

'Almost full?' you say, 'whats the problem?'

Well, the sender/pump covers are NOT the highest part of the tank. I pried that cap off and instantly put a gallon of gas all over myself, the underside of the car, and the parkinglot. Oops.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:10 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by achTTung
good call! I totally forgot about that part. First time I took the cover off the fuel sender, it was with an almost full tank.

'Almost full?' you say, 'whats the problem?'

Well, the sender/pump covers are NOT the highest part of the tank. I pried that cap off and instantly put a gallon of gas all over myself, the underside of the car, and the parkinglot. Oops.
Similar to something that happened to me recently; my buddy neglected to mention that the tank was full when I was replacing the pump on his '07 STi during a pretty big install. Needless to say, having a shop light hanging in the car when the fuel came out scared the sh*t out of me!