Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

I/C talk, stock and aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:32 PM
1st Gear
Default I/C talk, stock and aftermarket

So I have been thinking lately about I/Cs. Is there a way to make the stockers more efficient? Anyone measured temps after or tried removal of the headlamp sprayers? It seems like they restrict the air flow a lot! Also, openeing up the mesh more in the airdam as it is sealed off mostly?

As far as front mounts, I seem to be doing the APR parts since it's local and I like the design, but the APR I/C is much cheaper than the Forge, and designed differently. Which nets the best drops? Anyone running an APR I/C? If so, was it easily tunable?

Thanks,

-Skip

Old 05-05-2008, 01:46 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: I/C talk, stock and aftermarket

I tooked off the bottom mesh grills on my lip and really haven't noticed anything lol. the stock sidemounts will do their job but heat soak is still present. they really don't get much direct air feed so a front mount would be more ideal for cooler IAT's.

imo, 225's have it easy with FMIC's bc their throttle body is on the driver's side. fabbing up a piping route isn't nearly as hard as 180's. it's rather easy (and cheap!) to build your own custom FMIC with all ebay parts, just get a welder to weld on brackets, MAP flange or you can just weld the core into your bumper support/bar.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm make believe

The stock smic(s) suck. You cant make them any better. You will have to either go fmic or wmi. Bot will bring the temps down greatly.

If you had to choose between the forge and apr, i would go APR since it is a bar and plate and will work well with a turbo upgrade. However the forge kit looks far better

Old 05-05-2008, 02:46 PM
SoCal Crew Member

^ imho, if you were gonna bite the bullet and get an expensive FMIC like those 2, i'd just have your piping custom fab'd and go witha DOPE ARC or Spearco core.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm make believe

Those things or so overpriced when you can get a great garret core for the less (precision) and have it work far better.,

Old 05-05-2008, 02:52 PM
SoCal Crew Member

precision is made by garrett? well i'll be damned

Old 05-05-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm make believe

They use garrett cores and there own endtanks

Old 05-05-2008, 04:30 PM
5th Gear

Removing the shields in the side grilles might actually hurt things more than help. You need to 'trap' the air and force it thru the IC.

It looks to me like the stock design is meant to capture air thats being pushed around the front of the car. Without the shields, you'll have a buffer of slow air trapped in the duct to the IC, and the rest of the fresh air is going to cascade past.

Most efficient IC ducting design you would think would look like a funnel. A big opening leading to a smaller IC (like you see on all those ricers), to direct it in. This is actually wrong. You actually want a backward funnel, so that once the air is past the entry of the duct, it can't reverse direction and push back out. Kinda like a lobster trap if you think about it.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:37 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: .clipse

precision is made by garrett? well i'll be damned
I believe their turbos are their own housings with Garrett internals...

Old 05-05-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm make believe

^ yes, that also.

But like Matt said, if you remove the ducting, it will harm perfomance. If you remove the aliens, it will remove some blockage of airflow.

Quick Reply: I/C talk, stock and aftermarket