Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 09:49 PM
2nd Gear
Default Limp Mode

Here is my dilemma.

im boosting 17-18 psi at 3k RPM. i have the wastegate control set so i spool up faster too, now it runs fine no problems but it will be intermittedly. its wierd, sometimes it loves the setting and other times it keeps going into limp mode.

the limp mode will last for maybe 5-12km and then back to normal boosting 17-18 and then later on again same thing.

sometimes the intervals are hours , sometimes 10 times in an hour, or sometimes days in between.

so that brings me to this question: How can i elimante/manipulate/override etc.the limp mode to boost a proper 19-20 lbs on my k03

Old 09-16-2007, 10:05 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Limp Mode

It might be safer for the turbo to just lower the boost. Or control the onset to not spool so fast

Old 09-16-2007, 10:12 PM
2nd Gear

no, there is somehting going on. it should not behave in sucha fashion. the onset is set very mildly. i just set it so i dont have to mash the gas pedal in order to acheive full boost.

besides, im trying to acheive a max boost of 19-20 and i want to hold at 17 . in order to acheive this i need to get over this hurdle because it has capped me without any opportuninty for growth on that #

Old 09-16-2007, 11:36 PM
3rd Gear

I didnt think that the ECU can adapt itself out of "LIMP" mode unless the codes are cleared or if the battery is reset. Maybe but I have heard of guys driving around in limp mode for weeks. Wierd....

Old 09-17-2007, 07:47 AM

get a software upgrade..

or get a diode so the ECU never sees boost above 15psi.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:40 AM
2nd Gear

get a software upgrade..

or get a diode so the ECU never sees boost above 15psi.
I have a GIAC 91+ program already. It should suffice. And as i understood it. Diode mod is instead of chipping. i have not seen any1 have both. and i want to avoid adverse affects of having conflicting systems.

it appears that this is an isolated incident? I am sure that this problem has been encoutnered and conquered. Some direction would be nice.

I didnt think that the ECU can adapt itself out of "LIMP" mode unless the codes are cleared or if the battery is reset. Maybe but I have heard of guys driving around in limp mode for weeks. Wierd
tell me about it [&:]im tryign to figure out why its intermitted. the GIAC prgram seems to revert back to original settings after a few kms travelled. and then after a bit of time hits limp mode again. This is the pattern i have establsihed so far. the intervals is a variable too dynamic to really track.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:37 AM
3rd Gear

Do you get any check engine lights when the boost drops off? Or anything at all, just curious and it may sound dumb but have you checked for any boost leaks ever?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:45 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: DurTTy

Diode mod is instead of chipping.
No.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2901711

ORIGINAL: SAVwKO

The diode will keep you from going into limp mode because cranked boost levels far exceed what any chip is written for, even GIAC X+.
i want to avoid adverse affects of having conflicting systems.
It shouldn't cause you any problems...unless you like hitting limp

Old 09-18-2007, 10:46 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: 225tt

Do you get any check engine lights when the boost drops off? Or anything at all, just curious and it may sound dumb but have you checked for any boost leaks ever?
i have not checked for boost leaks yet. but it was running optimal.
the connection to the boost gague is a little funky i reseal it every few weeks sincethere is a little whole at the boost T. Im getting the 42 draft design boost hosing kit. it should be en route. .. actually im gonna check the trackign # right now [:-]lol

anyways ... no Warning lights at all. i was reading on a Vortex thread that the EGT sensor will nto throw a visible code if it is malfunctioning. but i need to get a VAG to it which is also on theway, need to check the tracking on that too lmao ! [8D]

im gonna see if my buddy at his shop can check it for boost leaks, but i doubt that is the issue otherwise it would not be consistent.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:50 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: DurTTy
a little whole at the boost T.
Congrats! You found your boost leak!

Quick Reply: Limp Mode