Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Major TT Stalling Problem, Anyone else had this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Default Major TT Stalling Problem, Anyone else had this happen?

Hi, I am in desperate need of some advice. I purchased a 2001 Audi TT not too long ago and I'm already having a major problem with it. A few times, I will have started the vehicle and the car will just die after a few seconds. Worse, the car has died three times while I have been driving it about 10-15 mph. The car basically just turns off. I can turn the car back on with no problem. I get no warning lights whatsoever. I called Audi and they told me that they cannot diagnose the problem because there is no warning light, and that I will have to wait for the problem to either fix itself or become more consistent. I know I have read about this happening to other people, but there hasn't been much follow up on what the problem was or how much it cost. Has anyone here overcome this problem? Thanks in advance, John

Old 09-05-2006, 04:22 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Major TT Stalling Problem, Anyone else had this happen?

ORIGINAL: jblaze

Hi, I am in desperate need of some advice. I purchased a 2001 Audi TT not too long ago and I'm already having a major problem with it. A few times, I will have started the vehicle and the car will just die after a few seconds. Worse, the car has died three times while I have been driving it about 10-15 mph. The car basically just turns off. I can turn the car back on with no problem. I get no warning lights whatsoever. I called Audi and they told me that they cannot diagnose the problem because there is no warning light, and that I will have to wait for the problem to either fix itself or become more consistent. I know I have read about this happening to other people, but there hasn't been much follow up on what the problem was or how much it cost. Has anyone here overcome this problem? Thanks in advance, John
Without knowing more, my first guess would be a failing MAF. Try unplugging the MAF and see if the problem goes away (the ECU will run using the default Map). If you have access to VAG-COM, run a log of Block 32 with a WOT 3rd gear run from 1000-6000 rpm (with the MAF plugged in of course) this will likely show the MAF is failing as well.

You can pick up a new one from ECStuning.com, Worldimpex.com or AutoPartsWarehouse.com.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:19 PM

I am not very mechanically inclined. Can you please define what the MAF is? I'm guessing it is part of the computer that maps out power and fuel distribution?

I don't plan on fixing this problem myself, but every single mechanic I've called is stumped, including 3 Audi dealerships. I keep getting the same answer, "unless I see it happen right in front of me or I can figure out a way to recreate the event you are SOL."

I figure if I have an idea of what the problem is I can take it to my personal mechanic and have him look at a few distinct parts. So far I've had some guesses that it may be an ignition/alternater problem or a failing battery. I planned on getting these checked ASAP. Its my girlfriends car and she refuses to drive it until it appears to be fixed haha.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:03 PM
2nd Gear

It is the Mass Air Flow sensor and is attached to the side of the stock airbox between the airbox and the inlet hose to the turbo. It is item #2 in the picture below