Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

My engine is done... opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 AM
2nd Gear
Default My engine is done... opinions?

so i was turning the corner at 360 and i30 tis morning and then all of the sudden the car dies and i have zero power. i try to restart and no luck just turns and turns. im waiting on a tow truck right now... i remember reading that if the belt snaps at idle that it might be ok to just replace the belt and no damage will happen to the head. Anyone have any other ideas? Sorry this was from my phone earlier...

EDIT: Look at the last post to see more pics.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:34 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: I think my timing belt broke

Looks like your posts timing belt broke also...
What was your question?

ORIGINAL: themysteryman83

so i was turning the corner at 360 and i30 tis morning and then all of the sudden the car dies and i have zero power. i try to restart and no luck just turns and turns. im waiting on a tow truck right now... i remember reading that if the belt snaps at idle t

Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 PM

well that truly sucks man and i hope its not the case!!

Old 07-08-2008, 12:35 PM
2nd Gear

It could be something else though. I have had a timing belt break and there is pops and additional noise. The car doesnt just turn off, its possible i guess but when mine broke it made quite a bit of noise lol

Old 07-08-2008, 12:42 PM
2nd Gear

So the car is back home and I have the top timing belt cover off. I've been getting this noise at startup recently and couldn't figure out what it was... well I looked down inside the timing belt cover and saw that the large round tensioner is no longer attached to the block! I don't know if the bolt broke or if it came unscrewed, but it looks like the belt is still in-tact. I thought that the noise might have been the exhaust coming loose or something to that effect, but now I know it was probably this part rattling as it was coming loose. Wish me luck!

Oh, and being a AAA premier member is badass! Free tows ftw!

Old 07-08-2008, 01:03 PM
2nd Gear

Yep, the tensioner is most often the failure point not the belt, same results though, belt slips, piston hits valves. Good luck. How many miles do you have on your car?

Old 07-08-2008, 01:22 PM
2nd Gear

How many miles were on your car? ^^^ I guess we all want to know.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

i hate 360, thats when on that windy day the stupid construction sign fell over and caused my accident with like 3 cars if you remeber that post. but anyways good luck on finding out whats wrong with your car id take it to carson if you cant figure out whats wrong with it

Old 07-08-2008, 02:21 PM

instant engine shut down indicates timing belt and when you try to restart it that's when the damage is caused or should I say made worse! in a few cases the pistons and valves are in a state of none interference and hopefully yours was like that but sadly most don't get that luxury[] so good luck

Old 07-08-2008, 02:46 PM
2nd Gear

right at about 81k, what's funny is that about 2 months after I got the car with only about 64k on it, I replaced the tensioner, water pump, andguide. So this happened with the new one... The guide is where the problem is. It looks like it came completely unscrewed from the block. I think this rattling I was hearing was the guide abouot to come undone.I can't go any further at the moment cause i'm missing my 6mm allen socket to get the harmonic balancer off... [:@]so now i'm waiting on a friend to take me down to the parts store. I would walk, but it's about 100 degrees today.

Quick Reply: My engine is done... opinions?