Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

My turbo is leaking oil, time for replacement, need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:21 PM
1st Gear
Default My turbo is leaking oil, time for replacement, need Help!

hi my name is al,
Im new to the forum, I have an 04 audi tt 225 with 100000 miles on it, my turbo seems to be leaking oil into my upper intercooler. Now i was at a meet and i was told by a audi mechanic that a replacement turbo shouldn't be that much money anywhere from 4 to 600 bucks and he wouldn't mind installing it for me. I have the labor down now i just need to find a replacement turbo. After looking for hours i cant find any turbos under 1000$ which is fine but, id rather not spend that much. Hybrid turbos seem to catch my eye its promised more hp and it will fit my stock housing but, i cant seem to find one. Forum after forum i still cannot seem to find a solution. BTW i live in the US. Hope you can help me
Problem: need another K04 that fits my stock housing.
would also like some companies/websites that make them.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm make believe

Your turbo is fine. If you look at your intake, you will see a odd flat valve that looks like the DV. This is attached to the head and block and the oil vapor from there is going into your intake and after time can lead to a sizable puddle. Pull the smics and drain them and you are fine. BTW, its sad when a audi mech doesnt know that and 1/2 their models run the same motors.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

thanks for the reply. i found what you were talking about and it seems totally plausible. I bet thats the problem, but do i need to replace that d/v lookin thing, or just wash it? Do i also need to take of both smic's out or just the upper?

Old 08-09-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm make believe

just pull both smics out and drain them and then hit it with some throttle body cleaner. You may also want to remove the throttle body and do the same since it can form gunk around the butterfly

Old 08-29-2010, 04:23 PM
1st Gear

i hate to be a pain but would a catch can help? i did what you said and well i went to the track the other day and ran a 15.9 and it seems theres alot of smoke coming out the exhaust i bet im still burning oil. with just an intake i ran a 14.2 but with full turboback, unitronic chip, intake, TIP, i ran the 15.9. at 83.00 mph

Old 08-31-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm make believe

A catch can will keep the blow by from getting to the intake. You may want to pull the turbo inlet pipe and see if there is any play in the turbo. Your turbo sounds like its not making the power it should and if you are blowing oil out the exhaust, may have a bad seal.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by cincyTT
Your turbo is fine. If you look at your intake, you will see a odd flat valve that looks like the DV. This is attached to the head and block and the oil vapor from there is going into your intake and after time can lead to a sizable puddle. Pull the smics and drain them and you are fine. BTW, its sad when a audi mech doesnt know that and 1/2 their models run the same motors.

Amen brother, there is more to hot rodding than swapping parts.You actually have know and understand how to diagnose.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:16 AM
1st Gear
Default catch can

Right now 42DraftDesign is testing a catch can for the TT it should be ready very soon and a easy mod. (I do not work for 42DD) no spam

L8R.........

Old 09-05-2010, 10:13 AM

Ten richest billionaires in the world http://theworldsbillionaires2.tk/ SECRET RICH BILLIONAIRE http://secretmakeymoney.tk/

Old 09-10-2010, 08:23 AM

I had the same problem with my 2002 TT, and i put on the Eurospec E05b turbo, which is one of the most powerful bolt on replacements for the ko3 or ko4 turbo. It is a lot louder as well as much more aggressive.

Quick Reply: My turbo is leaking oil, time for replacement, need Help!