Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:29 AM
1st Gear
Default New member

I posted this on the new member area, but thought I might get more responses if posted here.

I've been researching for a few weeks now and located a local car that I an interested in. I test drove yesterday and there are many issues with the car, but I am thinking about risking it anyway. The car is a 2001 TT Quattro 225 6 speed convertible with 62,000 miles. There is body damage that I can find replacement parts for online. The seats are destroyed, again very easy to find online. The main issues appear to be caused by the CCM from what I have read online. The windows don't go up the last 1/4 inch when the doors close, the power top doesn't work. The check engine light is on. The airbag light is on. The car starts and idles smoothly, a little hesitation under acceleration. With the miles on this engine I am finding it hard to pass up. Any input would be appreciated. I am pretty handy and one of my buddies has his own shop and his "racecar" is a 1.8 turbo Jetta so he has some experience.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:52 PM
1st Gear

I guess the big question is: How much?

Do you have a VAGCOM to diagnose the issues?

You can buy an inexpensive ELM327 bluetooth OBDII connector from eBay and use an app called Torque on your phone to read the codes. If Torque won't work on your phone, there are alot of other free apps to try. One will read the codes. Then find an app like OBD2 Code guide to interpret the codes.

For less than 10 bucks you should have more info at hand.

That is a sweet machine. I just bought mine in February 2017 with 52,000 miles. She's VERY clean. I paid 9,999 from an independent small dealership.

Be aware that you will need to immediately change the waterpump and timing belt. 60k is starting to get to the risky phase of the timing belt's life. The OEM waterpump has plastic blades and you should replace with metal at the same time as the timing belt.

Lots of little electronic parts go south, but they are readily available on eBay and Amazon. Several places rebuilding them in the States.

I love mine! It's a lot of fun to drive. Keep it alive! Go for it!

Best of luck!

Russ

Old 11-04-2017, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

Oh - if you end up buying it, the RossTech VAGCOM is invaluable in chasing down error codes that the ELM327 only hints at.