Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.
View Poll Results: A poll
42 Draft Designs Downpipe
18.18%
W/M Kit
0%
Suspension
72.73%
Brakes
9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Next mod opinions needed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:54 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Next mod opinions needed!

gas pedal spacer????????? i dont understand lol

i would say a dp should be next... do you not have an exhaust on it yet? I didnt see it in ur mods....

Old 10-25-2007, 12:23 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: myslow1

i would say a dp should be next... do you not have an exhaust on it yet? I didnt see it in ur mods....
No... A Downpipe should NOT be next. You dont want to upgrade the downpipe until AFTER the turbo unless you want to buy it twice. If you buy a downpipe for a stock turbo... it will not fit on an aftermarket turbo. the mounting flange on the downpipe has to be made to fit thatyy specific turbo. Different turbos are mounted and positioned differently. they dont all necessarily face the same direction and aren't always in the same place. why buy the same thing twice?! I DID already post this up there about 4 posts ago... but I'll post it again now anyway.

Gas pedal spacer is basically a small block that fitrs on the back of the pedal to keepo it from going all the way to the floor. Our throttle on the TT is wide open with the pedal ½-¾ of the way down. It is not necessary for you to push it all the way to the floor to get full throttle.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:07 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: neur0tic

ORIGINAL: myslow1

No... A Downpipe should NOT be next. You dont want to upgrade the downpipe until AFTER the turbo unless you want to buy it twice. If you buy a downpipe for a stock turbo... it will not fit on an aftermarket turbo. the mounting flange on the downpipe has to be made to fit thatyy specific turbo. Different turbos are mounted and positioned differently. they dont all necessarily face the same direction and aren't always in the same place. why buy the same thing twice?! I DID already post this up there about 4 posts ago... but I'll post it again now anyway.

Gas pedal spacer is basically a small block that fitrs on the back of the pedal to keepo it from going all the way to the floor. Our throttle on the TT is wide open with the pedal ½-¾ of the way down. It is not necessary for you to push it all the way to the floor to get full throttle.
i guess you are right...
touche!

Old 10-25-2007, 05:40 AM
2nd Gear

Yea, I wasn't trying to flame you or anything. I actually found a tuner shop here in Korea that will make me a custom fit mandrel bent downpipe for my 225 Quattro for $150. They said they have to actually machine a mounting flange for it though which will be an extra $200.

I was all over that like white on rice, but the tuner shop told me that if I planned on Upgrading my turbo later that they would end up needing to do the whole thing again once I had the new turbo so the downpipe would fit. So now I'm waiting for the Big Turbo upgrade before I do my downpipe install. Im really thinking about getting a 3" cat-back here in December though and that way Im only lacking the downpipe once I go BT in Feb-Mar 08.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:54 AM
3rd Gear

For the w/m I already have my own Vag-Com cable. I think that I will end up doing the suspention next, but I need coilovers with adjustable dampening and K-Mac kit. I know I can get the PSS9 kit but are there any other adj. dampening kits out there that are avaliable for the TT with Quattro?

Old 10-25-2007, 08:53 AM
2nd Gear

Yes... KW Variant 2 fits the 225 quattro

I still have not decided whether to go with PSS9 or KW Variant 2

Both have adjustable ride height and andjustable dampening.

The KW Variant 3 is almost the same price as the variant 2, but I think the variant 3 has too much control and I think it would make it rather difficult to get the desired settings, so I'll probably go with the Variant 2 if I go KW

Old 10-25-2007, 12:44 PM
3rd Gear

Hmmmm thanks for the link, by the way what is DECFON?

Old 10-25-2007, 02:07 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: neur0tic

Yea, I wasn't trying to flame you or anything. I actually found a tuner shop here in Korea that will make me a custom fit mandrel bent downpipe for my 225 Quattro for $150. They said they have to actually machine a mounting flange for it though which will be an extra $200.

I was all over that like white on rice, but the tuner shop told me that if I planned on Upgrading my turbo later that they would end up needing to do the whole thing again once I had the new turbo so the downpipe would fit. So now I'm waiting for the Big Turbo upgrade before I do my downpipe install. Im really thinking about getting a 3" cat-back here in December though and that way Im only lacking the downpipe once I go BT in Feb-Mar 08.

Ya no big deal, i didnt really take that into consideration. The only way i wouldnt mind that problem is if i had a 180... From what i have read those dp's they offer on ebay are not to bad and they are cheap. So imo it wouldnt be a big deal to spend 100 or less and then have to do it again 6 months to a year later when and if you upgrade to a larger turbo.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:36 PM
2nd Gear

On the original TT, the control arms were much, much tighter. the original also didn't come with a spoiler. Well for safety reasons... they had some recalls and spoilers were added... and the really super tight control arms were swapped out with the current style. Well, the original TT control arms are some of the best performance control arms you can get because of how tight they were... they could just be a little dangerous for regular daily driver use (Kind of like the High Performance Orange Haldex controller is considered dangerous for regular use). for a long time, people sought out the old style control arms at salvage yards and part-outs. well now they are just about impossible to get your hands on. Well the DEFCON kit, is an MK! control arm emulator. Basically, its a machined metal bushing sleeve that fits into the race of the existing control arms and you put the bushings (OEM or Polyurethane) into the Defcon bushiong sleeve. It emulates the original control arms by basically making the "hole" that the control arms bushing slides into much smaller so it all fits together very very tight. The DEFCON kit comes in a few different variations; DEFCON 1-4 are the main ones. DEFCON 3 is an identical replica of the original "super control arm" while the DEFCON 1 kit goes one step further and is actually tighter than the original MK1 recalled control arms.
I believe there are DEFCON kits made by a couple different places... but modshack has one of the better sets. steve from modshack catches a lot of grief on here from folks... but he doesn't have any malicious intent with his products. I'd say the DEFCON kit is probably one of his best products though. For obvious reasons (if you've read any of the threads on here lately) the TTDA and VTDA get bad reviews here... but the Boost Machine and DEFCON kits are great.

The install can be a pain in the ***... (you need to pull the control arms, sand or buff out the bushing race, and press in the DEFCON adapter sleeves), but I would imagine the juice is definitely worth the squeeze on this one. Biggest thing is... control arms get so very oxidized just from where they are at... that doing the DEFCON mod gives you a GREAT opportunity to pull the control arms, clean them all up real good... swap all the bushings (swap out stock for polyurethane) and get everything lubed up and put back together. I have not done this on my TT yet ( i will be though) but I have done this type of work on other cars and I can attest that disassembling, cleaning, upgrading bushings, lubricating, and reassembling your control arms, sway bars, misc suspension subcomponents will give new life to your car and completely change the way the vehicle drives and feels. It's hard to describe really the impact it has... but its a good mod... and a good chance to give your TT some good ole TLC.

Here's link to detailed description of DEFCON kit

Here's a link to detailed installation pictorial on DEFCON install

my $.02

Old 10-25-2007, 06:52 PM
3rd Gear

Wow great writeup thanks!