Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Opinions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 11:36 AM
1st Gear
Default Opinions Needed

I'm new to this forum and I am in need of a car and considering a new tt very soon. I live on Long Island, NY and would like to hear responses from anyone regarding fwd v/s awd or any other feedback about the tt....thanks

Old 01-09-2005, 04:51 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Opinions Needed

FWD vs AWD is no contest. AWD is far superor in almost every regard. As I recall, it snows now and then in LI. AWD is, of course, nuch better for inclement weather. On dry roads, expect much better handling overall.

BTW, all three of my cars are AWD.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:26 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: star

I'm new to this forum and I am in need of a car and considering a new tt very soon. I live on Long Island, NY and would like to hear responses from anyone regarding fwd v/s awd or any other feedback about the tt....thanks
AWD for sure! The TT with quattro really rocks. I don't get a lot of snow around my parts but it's awesome in the handling deptment! Don't disappoint yourself by buying the FWD you'll later wish you had the AWD!

Old 02-27-2005, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

^^Indeed. Quattro in turns is really fun. Point the car into the turn and hit the gas a little earlier than you might normally in a FWD car. And it launches you into the turn. Don't get the FWD if you can get an AWD model.

Old 03-14-2005, 01:11 AM

I can respond to this. I have a TT Roadseter and I live in CT.

We have had outrageoous snowfall the past 2 years. My TT has made it through with no problems. The only caveat --If people haven't plowed - then your profile is so low that it could be a problem. But this would only be after serious - heavy duty - snow. I haven't been stopped yet!! Except by my ex - but that's another story.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

Congrats on the decission on buying a TT. FWD vs AWD/Quattro is a no brainer. I don't even think they make the FWD in this country any longer. I believe the only ones that came out here in the US were 2000 TT models with FWD. Later they all went to Quattro.
The handeling with Quattro is amazing and the car drives like it's on rails. Now you only have the choice of either 180HP 1.8T with a 5 Speed (earlier models) or a Triptronic Automatic with all later models. Or a 225HP 1.8T with a 6 Speed transmission, or the new 3.2l TT with the DSG transmission and 250HP. Then you have the option of Coupe or Roadster. I personally love the Roadster with the top down but hate the looks with the Top up. It somehow looses the very cool lines like the Coupe has. But that is just my opinion.
Everyone has different tastes. I went with the Coupe because of the weather here in Indy. I would be driving 90 percent with the top up so the coupe was the logical choice for me. I got the 225HP 6 speed version which runs like a champ. Maybe later I may get a 3.2 with DSG and paddel shifters. I think that would be my favorite transmission.

Good luck with your decission. Whatever you choose go with the Quattro not FWD.