Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

No clutch pedal pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:52 PM
1st Gear
Default No clutch pedal pressure

Once again , my TT left me stranded. Time to get it fixed then trade it in, any car that breaks down 7 times within a year and a half starting at 37k miles when I got deserves to be driven into a lake. So anyways, clutch felt spongy, came to a stop light and could not get it into gear, had to shut it off, put it in gear and creeped it into a parking lot. My experience with cars tells me it is the master or slave cylinder, i had to change both in different cars for the same reason I have now. Checked the brake fluid level and it was not abnormally low. I did not see any fluid where I normally park the car. Pedal is now all the way dropped to the floor. I dont know if there is a way to tell which cylinder it is, Im hoping it is the clutch master cylinder and not the slave. I am taking it to the stealership on Wednesday, just looking for some opinions before I talk to the mechanic there. Any thoughts would be helpful, and as always, thanks for the help.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:09 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: No clutch pedal pressure

I hope its your master too slave other wise itwill leave you with 800 in labor if its slave. Lets give you my parts list in the past 4 months I am ready to trade too. (or go for a swim)
Both Front Wheel Bearings 150
Drivers Side CV Axle 600
Passenger CV Rebuild 150
Prop Shaft COmplete 1200
Clutch and Flywheel 1400
COil Packs 125
Plugs 10
Temp Sensor 25
Timing Belt 1000
I am sure i am missing some things!
other stuff i put on in the same time frame
R1 DV 160
All new silicone hoses (all of them) 600+
Unitronic CHip Tune 550
Theres more but thats just my list since jan 08
some prices incluide labor as i said screw it dealer can handle it!

Old 04-15-2008, 01:12 AM
1st Gear

I have had the same exact thing happen. Luckily I had just bought the car and the dealer I purchased it from paid for everything. The Audi dealer told me that it was the clutch master cylinder. They said alot of them turn out to be defective for some reason or another and won't hold pressure. Anyway, the total for the replacement and labor and everything else was just a hair over 600 bucks, but remember that the dealer I bought the car from paid for it so that is probably a dealer contract type discount.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:38 AM
1st Gear

I talked with the shop manager and asked him what the allotted time was for the master cylinder, and he quoted me 2 hours, and said to expect the labor to be $200. I then contacted the parts department and got a price of $110 for the cylinder itself. If I had the time and energy, I would tackle it myself, although I remember what a pain in the *** it was to change on my Talon, and I am sure this is even more frustrating to change, so I will just spend the money. I need them to run an engine code anyways, which has plagued me from day one. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:50 AM
2nd Gear

Yup sounds like the master clutch cylinder. if it was slave the pedal would have pressure but as soon as you press it, it will not rise again.

check the bentley to see if he is realyl giving you a realistic quote or if it is a simple job.

if you dont have a bentley manual go to www.vagcat.com and take a look at the component location for a good idea ont he labour.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

The dealership quoted me $287 total for the job. If it is anything like changing the master cylinder on my Talon, I will gladly pay that price.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:50 PM
2nd Gear

if you had a bentley repair manual you wold be able to have a good idea on what is involved.

why dont you try going to a smaller place ... that does VWs ?

Old 04-16-2008, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

We have a great VW/AUDI place, he said they have 45 cars on their list and wont be able to touch mine for 2 weeks. I looked at the diagrams for the job, it doesnt look fun. And it is all upside down work under the dash which I would rather not to with my banana hands. Also, the cylinder is under the break master cylinder. He said they are given 2.25 hours for the job. When I changed it in my Talon, I nearly needed stitches when I sliced my hand on a bracket. I had them check my CEL that I had since day one, it is a leak in a vac line under the manifold. They said the new line and labor will be $305 for that one. I jsut want it fixed so I can trade it in.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:23 PM
2nd Gear

well i just got my estimate 7 grand to fix mine! Hope insurance pays then im gettin rid of it and gettin another bike and cheaper car