Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Noisy in front when hitting small bumps.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Noisy in front when hitting small bumps.

My car makes rattle noises in the front when I hit small bumps as if a strut is rattling or something. The steering seems tight and everything feels fine and nothing was found loose during the last inspection (not sure how well they checked things, but they are usually looking to fail you and sell you something). I figured it was about time to ask if anyone knows what this is. I jacked it up once and tried to locate it, but did not find anything. I did notice that the struts seem to come up at the top when the car is let down. Is this normal? It seems like this would allow for slop when you hit bumps. Do I just need new struts? The rebound dampening etc, seems fine, but then again I bought the car at 97K and it now has 127K or so. I have no idea what these are like new, but the car feels "tight" This noise has been there every since I can remember. It doesn't do it on the highway, just when I am going slow down a roud that is a little bumpy (like our chip and seal road in front of the house). Because It's fine driving on the highway I never worried about it. I do not have any previous owner service records to say what may have been replaced in the front as far as suspension components go, but I suspect that nothing has ever been changed.

Car is a 2000 quattro

Old 12-04-2010, 02:12 PM
1st Gear

After a couple hours of fooling with the car, I think the little noise is in the steering rack. Nothing else appears to make any noise, but if I pull in and out on the steering linking I can make what sounds like the same noise. The outer tie rods are tight as can be and there is no play whatsoever in the in wheel bearings or anything. The movement is very small. I am sure the rack is fine for a long time still, but that noise is annoying?

Anyone replaced a rack for small clunky noise when going over roads that arent very smooth?

Old 12-04-2010, 03:55 PM
1st Gear

I checked the rack preload adjustment and it is fine, and the play is only in the right side. Looks like you can get an inner tie rod for these, so I am going to order one.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

At 127K, I'm sure you need new suspension parts. It is normal for the tops to stick out a bit at rest...so where around 1/4 inch or so.

Struts w/bushings, droplinks, ball joints, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, should all be on their last leg by now...11+yrs and 127K miles. time for an upgrade. ;-)

Old 12-05-2010, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

I thoroughly inspected everything and the only play I could find was in the right inner tie rod. All the rubber parts look good too. Sway bar etc is tight. The car rides and drives great other than that noise when hitting washboard. I will know next weekend. The part is on the way. For the most part this car is just driven in a straight line on smooth pavement 100 miles a day highway.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

the clunk you described over on TTCCA is probably due to the droplinks. your springs are probably fine, but the struts can't be pereforming as required given their age and mileage.

if you have basic home equipment, you can do a major suspension overhall as a DIY. I did this past january and it was my first-ever DIY (yes, my ***** were bigger than my brain at the time. ;-)). I think I spent about $1300-$1500 for suspension parts and the few tools I needed to make the job easier.

I documented my suspension upgrade here as well as identifying a few additional links that I found helpful: http://public.fotki.com/TTQ2K2/ . Start with the Struts album.

also, do yourself a favor and buy the Bentley Service manual (either paper or cd.) Try ebay or amazon...should be $60-$100. it will pay for itself on the first DIY.

cheers