Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Problems with my 42 Draft design 3" DP

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 06:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Problems with my 42 Draft design 3" DP

So , first I had to wait 2 weeks to get my DP because they were in the process of making it. It arrived yesterday, finally. I installed it ( the installation was very easy ) and took it for a test drive. When you fist drive off slowly it starts to rattle. Then when your driving around cruising it rattles as well. Then I thought maybe something was loose. So I checked underneath and everything was nice and tight. I noticed that the flex pipe started to get chewed up, I was assuming maybe that was the problem. What it was that the flexpipe was rubbing on the subframe support brackets. What can I do now? So I went to a muffler shop to see if they could install a hanger ( it didnt come with one), It did no good. So I had to torch some of the bracket off ( dont know if its safe or not). but I did it anyway. The rattle wasnt that bad anymore. But wait there's more, the DP/ flexpipe is also rubbing on the driveshaft. ( you can seethe aring on the driveshaft where it hits it) what I am going to do now????? So I've emailed 42 draft design to see if they had any suggestions. Right now Im riding around with an open DP with no cat and exhaust, good thing I have another car. The DP is very well made itself, but is it worth the $600 and the headache/problems? If you have the money save it and buy the APR 3" DP. Unless you know how to weld and make it better. Does anyone else have a 3" Dp from 42 draft design? Did you have the same problem? If anyone has any questions or suggestions just let me know. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Old 04-12-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Problems with my 42 Draft design 3" DP

Your dp is probably hitting the heat shield on the firewall like all the other people who complain about their dp's. Just bend it back and call it a day. It may even be what is eating up the flex section.

225 dp removal
Installed/impressions

Old 04-12-2007, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

Well I did read all of the forums this time and I figured it could be that, so I checked it out. Of course its not!!!! Im seeing it with my EYES that its getting chewed up by the brackets/bolts. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm make believe

your the only person i have seen with a complaint, and dyno has showed 10whp and 20ftlbs gained with the downpipe and thats with a 2.75" catback already installed.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:56 PM
1st Gear

will i get the same gains if i didnt have the factory exhaust on?

P.S.
Maybe the hanger thats in the picture would help!!!!!!! But I guess they forgot to add it to mine?????

Old 04-12-2007, 09:07 PM
I'm make believe

You should see the same #'s with a simular cat-back

The turbo and where it attaches to the cat-back should be enough to support it. The pic above is the first version made.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:32 PM

I'm skipping the 42DD kit and going for the APR exhaust. I know it's expensive, but I love the look of the parts in their pics and am especially fond of the fact that it's all stainless steel.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:36 PM
3rd Gear

stainless steel is not the best material to be used as exhaust systems....read the F.A.Q section on the 42 draft designs webiste

Old 04-12-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm make believe

it has to be the right kind of ss. ss doesnt handle heat changes as good as mild steel. This is why you dont make manifolds out if it, they crack easy. catbacks can be made out of ss because the heat is far cooler down there and doesnt support anything.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:33 PM

I can't imagine that the APR system is crap. They are a reputable vendor. It looks like high quality merchandise. I spent about 15 minutes on the phone with their rep Greg and he explained their take on the system. They feel that a T304 stainless steel exhaust is the highest quality material for an exhaust. I was very impressed with their warranty too. Greg said that if a muffler bracket breaks they replace the entire cat back system. Their warranty is a lifetime warranty on their exhaust. I'm sold.

Quick Reply: Problems with my 42 Draft design 3" DP