Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Replacing Spur Toothed drive belt for rear windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

Okey dokey,

Because there is an IMMENSE lack of information on this relatively simple fix I will interject.

You will need:
High Power Toothed BELT for Audi TT MK1 wind deflector 8N7862997 - Get this from Polybelt.com DO NOT BUY THE STOCK BELT AGAIN. (It's stupid expensive and it's weak, the polybelt version is superior and $35)

Installation is simple. Drill out the rivets, there are 4.
Pop off the black shank washer nuts, don't lose them, they are a PAIN to replace.

Take the metal cover off, loop the belt around the passenger side, pop out the driver's side giant spindle by lubing up the white plastic spacer and GENTLY pulling it towards the back of the car, this will give you a little slack to loop the belt around the gear, set it, then pop the shaft back into place.

Place the metal cover on and rivet 4 new rivets in.

Vacuum up all the metal shavings, replace the plastic cover and you're done.

IF YOUR WINDSCREEN STILL DOESN'T WORK:

The chances are great that your Comfort Control Module has failed, especially if you can't use your trunk open button or your gas door open button. The top leaks and fails, then drowns your CCM. Buy a new top on ebay for $500, I did and installed it this past weekend. It's super simple.

Install your new CCM while you have the top off, (easiest way)

Old 03-24-2021, 04:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Rear windscreen

Originally Posted by ken.voisine
How did you make out? I am in the same boat searching for advice and pics myself.
im in the same boat with my 02 roadster one side goes up about 3 imches but passenger side only about an inch.i am just starting on it.if i have luck i will post it

Old 03-11-2023, 11:42 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 225 tt

Originally Posted by ttrider
hi, was able to find better price than the dealer from an aftermarket racing supplier online. It was a couple years ago but was the best price at the time.
About 20-30% less overall.
audi tt mki quattro 225hp - 8n7862997 - windscreen toothed belt - es#456230

currently $ 127-130.00 while the audi dealer is close to $200.

And side-note, this business above about jacking people around? No, i went to great effort to photo and document a diy for the entire procedure but when tried to post the forum would time out and i would lose my slow-*** typing. Plus was my first time posting and most days just do not have time off from work schedule to stay online and post.

Hope this helps, still have photos and docs around if anyone still needs.
Thanks. Good luck.
just got a 2001 with a bad windscreen. I would be very interested in your pictures thanks for taking them tgm509