Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Roadster Convertible Top Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:45 AM
1st Gear
Default Roadster Convertible Top Problems

I keep having problems with my rag top on my TT. When I close the top and try to latch it, it closes fine but the little convertible top light stays on and the car doesnt recognize that the top is closed. I was wondering if anyone knew where the switch was that tells the car the top is closes. I'm sure thats the problem. I mean, what else could it be?

It is getting cold and my windows are now always cracked when I'm driving because the car thinks I'm about to open the top up.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Old 11-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Default RE: Roadster Convertible Top Problems

Check out this thread over on Audiworld.

HERE

I also suggest bookmarking this thread also. Its starting to happen on my convertible top as well. I just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

HERE

Old 11-01-2007, 12:50 PM
2nd Gear

Somewhere there is a pic illustration of someone altering that latch on the top of the wind shield for falty connectivity. I can't remember what they did, added a piece of metal or bent something.

Its on here or audiworld I think.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

wow, thanks so much for all your help. Just what I was looking for!

Old 11-01-2007, 09:34 PM
1st Gear

Anybody know how to take the trim off around the windshield? Is it just kinda carefully pull and rip?

Old 11-01-2007, 10:04 PM
cmh

That is one sweet sig- are those sport-tec wheels?

Old 11-02-2007, 07:49 AM
3rd Gear

The "Control Module for Central Locking" is what controls that switch, and if your window leaks like mine did then you will have to get the whole top replaced. Trust me there is no quick fix. I found a place here in Oklahoma that was able to re-patch in my window but it still drips and I am going to need to get a new one here shortly. The control module is about 250 bucks online, if you need more info then just pm me. Hope this helps.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:14 AM
1st Gear

My window isnt leaking, the car just doesnt know that the top is closed. I really think it is a switch problem after reading the link that diehlryan kindly posted.

I can get it to say that its closed I just need to keep turning the latch until the switch flicks... its just a pain in my ***.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

The switch is on the driver's side. If you open the top a little and turn the handle you will see a curved piece that latches the top down. That hooks under the latch above the windshield and pushes the switch. When I had this problem it was raining and I put my top up in the garage. Didn't want to drive with windows down so I just grabbed some electrical tape and put a few layers on the switch where the latch engages it. That made enough of a difference to close the switch when the top was latched.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:50 AM
1st Gear

I apologize for waking up an old post but has anyone found a method that fixes this problem? Took my Audi to Volkswerks in Falls Church, VA to fix this. The repair lasted for a year (almost to the day!) before the blinking "roof is opened" light went off. At this point, I'm tired of stuffing a wad of paper between the switch and the latch to make the connection.

I'm going to go the WD-40 route tomorrow but re: zelpdsm's plan of attack (electrical tape), did anyone find that that was a good enough solution?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Quick Reply: Roadster Convertible Top Problems