Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Turbo problem ~ prob need a new one

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 05:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Turbo problem ~ prob need a new one

Hi guys, I believe I need a new turbo for my 2004 Audi TT 1.8.

History: I bought the car from someone who wrecked it from the front. The oil pan was cracked. I had my mechanic put on a new oil pan and new oil of course. After putting the car back together there was a tapping which he said sounded like the lifters. I drove the car about 25 miles after the new oil pan and with the tapping. I took the car to FireStone andput Royal Purple synthetic 20-50 in it to hopefully temporarily stop the tapping - which ended up not working (tapping was still there). Anyway, on the way home from Firestone while on the freeway I heard what sounded like a tire popping but I lost alot of power at the same time. I then heard the high pitched sound of the turbo. I pulled off the freeway and drove the remainder 5 miles home where the car sits today. I have since driven the car down the street and back to try to get a better idea of whats wrong. I'm not mechanically inclined so I'm not positive whats going on but I'm guessing its the turbo that needs replacing (I'll worry about the tapping later).

Can anyone tell me what their guess is on what happened?

Also, if it is a new turbo that I need does anyone have one for my car? - 2004 1.8.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-06-2008, 06:29 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Turbo problem ~ prob need a new one

Sounds like a turbo hose popped off. Should be easy enough to locate.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:45 PM
2nd Gear

yeh I'd say its just a blown off intercooler pipe, it tends to happen.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:23 PM
2nd Gear

Anyway, on the way home from Firestone while on the freeway I heard what sounded like a tire popping but I lost alot of power at the same time.
Those guys are such crooks. I would never take any car to them, ever. They probably loosened the clamp on the pipe when they were changing the oil. Would have taken them 5 seconds.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:24 AM
1st Gear

Thanks guys! I looked at the car a bit closer and got underneith and found a loose hose. The whitish hose runs under the front of the car along the bumper. Im not sure if its the turbo that it was connected to b/c I could barely get under the car but it connects on the passenger side to a part that had a small nozle sticking out the side. The nozle on the part broke off. The part with the nozzle comes down towards the ground like a cylinder and the (part that broke) small nozzle (about 1/2") sticks out the side. Any idea what part that would be? Yeah, Im not too mechanically inclined - sorry in advance.

Thanks again!

Old 04-07-2008, 02:18 PM
2nd Gear

The turbo pipe is a fairly large diameter hose (2.5")that goes under the front and into an intercooler on the passenger side. I think there is a sensor down there iirc. Maybe that's what happened? Did they break it off?

Old 04-07-2008, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

the hose in question is only about 1/2" in diameter and connects to a very small nozzle (which broke and is now inside thehose)which has an inlet hole about 1/4". I'm thinking its not related to the turbo (but could be wrong). I'll get back under the car this evening and try to get another look - maybe even take a picture. The part is located under the car in front of the right tire. The cylinder piece is pointed to the ground and is a plastic piece about 2" in diameter. I really hope I didnt blow the turbo. I really love the car - cant wait to get it back together.

Thanks so much for your help -really.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:37 PM
2nd Gear

Just out of curiosity... was there any noticeable fluid leakage or smoke out the tailpipe?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:21 PM
1st Gear

no real noticeable smoke and I have'nt seen any fluid leakage. does that tell you anything?

Old 04-07-2008, 07:04 PM
5th Gear

a picture speaks a thousand words.

BTW, the 'tapping' noise is most likely the fuel injectors. Take the plastic junk off the top of the engine, and stick your ear down next to them. If its coming from the area under that stainless steel rail that runs across the engine, its the fuel injectors, if it sounds like its coming from under the valve cover (the thing with the oil fill cap on it), its potentially the lifters.

Quick Reply: Turbo problem ~ prob need a new one