Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Unhappy with GIAC Software and DV noise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 06:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Unhappy with GIAC Software and DV noise.

Yesterday I had Fixx Tuning install the GIAC software on my 2003 Audi TT Quattro 225. When the technician was finished, he took it for a test drive and stated it doesn't feel as fast as it should. Then I drove it and itdidn'tfeel different from stock. I haven't installed a mechanical boost gauge yet. I plan on doing that in the next couple of days. He did run the boost levels on his lap top while I was driving it. He said I was spiking at 20 psi and holding 17.1 psi. I really don't trust those numbers until I see it on a mechanical boost gauge.

Since I did just purchase the vehicle two weeks ago. The first thing I did was install the K & N intake kit. I noticed that the Diverter valve was loud. Almost as loud as what a Greddy Type S would sound like vented on a WRX for example. It not only makes a loudnoise when I am switching gears but also when I am slightly accelerating. Even the guys at Fixx tuning told me they thought is was very loud for a TT. They orginally told me since I have a 2003, I already have the 710 N so I should be ok with holding the boost.

Is it a common problem when a diverter valve isfailing thatit makes a loud whoosh noise?It didn't make the noise with the stock airbox.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Unhappy with GIAC Software and DV noise.

your car should feel far from stock if you have it chipped. when he said your car was running 20 and holding 17 was that requested or actual. he should of had a graph via vagcom to show you this. if you have a leak, if would request 20psiand you are not making 20psi. get a guage asap and you should be seeing 20in of vacuum at idle (when your car is warm) and 20psi.

as for the dv, yes they become loud when you remove the airbox. the 710n is a very good valve that many apr stage 3 guys with over 300whp still use them. you would know that it is going bad if it honks like a goose, and yes, its very....VERY distinct.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

I just had a tuner install (bench flash)the GIAC 93 into my '01 225 last week. So far I've been really happy. With my gauge I read 21 peak psi and I can feel it. There is no denying that it works. Comes on strong at about 3500, till 4500 as a rush. Prior to the GIAC, I had replaced the OEM DV which did make a little noise, but not much. I replaced it with a Stratmosphere Hyperboost DV which does produce more dump sound when accelerating and between shifts. Since then I modified the airbox by cutting out the botton section, now the sound is quite evident, but franly I don't mind it.

Maybe your tuner missed something ???Mine tried first to load the software via the OBD port, but it wouldn't hold. Then had to bench flash the ECU.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

He did do the software install through the OBD port. So I'm worried that maybe he didn't even load the software properly. Many people have praised the GIAC chips and I read about how aggresive they are, but I can't feel the difference. He didn't show me a graph just converted the millibars to PSI. He probably gave me the requested boost levels not actual boost. Have to get that boost gauge in ASAP.

Thank you for your help.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:46 PM
1st Gear

You will most definitely know when it is working correctly. For a short-term diagnostic, pick up a gauge at any perf. parts store (should be about $45-50), attach the tee and tubing into the fuel pressure regulator and you'll know instantly what boost/vac your getting. Then you can worry about a pretty gauge install with the electrical/lighting connections. Hell, you could run the tubing through thegap in your hood into the cabin for a short spin around the block.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

You said Fixx Tuning , was it JWelty who did it in Tampa?

If so, he's a damn good guy and an enthusiast, go back, complain and talk to him, he'll hook you up and set you right. He's a good guy and I recommend him to people, tell him your not happy about it and that you said something on the forums. He knows about reference from Forums, he started VWFixx.com, he'll make you happy.

Did you change the plugs?

Old 03-29-2007, 12:52 AM
1st Gear

I just hooked up an autometer boost gauge to the FR. Boost gauge is working properly. I am holding 16 psi to redline and spiking at 21.

I don't know the guys name at Fixx tuning who did the install. Only guys name I remember is Justin. I haven't changed the plugs, is there a need to if it's holding boost ok and it runs without missing.

Thanks

Old 03-29-2007, 03:06 AM
2nd Gear

You must have a boost leak cause i'm steady at around 19-20psi on my giac flash i think. Well around there, I know i'm not at 16 for sure.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:32 AM
1st Gear

What type of Diverter valve are you using? Good luck with your ride....I hope it just needs some cleaning.