Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Well, I got it home!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 11:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Well, I got it home!

No good news on the timing belt, the car has 65k on it. Do I need to panic and change it? The non-Audi dealer told me it is due at 105k miles...?

The only issues I have found is a front driver side marker light is out, and the dash warning seems to be mentioning it, but a few of the pixels are burned out of the display in the dash and in the radio display. The audio system rocks, and the CD changer is a nice touch. This car is in like new condition other than the few burnt display lines, interior perfect. One small scuff on the rear wheel.

My only gripe is that bar that connects the dash to the console, my leg hits it all the time and it was annoying on the 2 hour drive home today. Has anyone removed those bars? Are they really needed for support or are they just for looks?

Many many questions to follow... I like this car, and so does the wife.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Well, I got it home!

ORIGINAL: FXRocket

No good news on the timing belt, the car has 65k on it. Do I need to panic and change it? The non-Audi dealer told me it is due at 105k miles...?

it would be best to do it now and change the waterpump also to a metal impeller one.

The only issues I have found is a front driver side marker light is out, and the dash warning seems to be mentioning it, but a few of the pixels are burned out of the display in the dash and in the radio display. The audio system rocks, and the CD changer is a nice touch. This car is in like new condition other than the few burnt display lines, interior perfect. One small scuff on the rear wheel.

change the bulb and save a headache of starting at the dash. you might want to find a new display soon. this one may crap out on you sooner than later.

My only gripe is that bar that connects the dash to the console, my leg hits it all the time and it was annoying on the 2 hour drive home today. Has anyone removed those bars? Are they really needed for support or are they just for looks?

you can but its there to support your leg in cornering. you did buy a sports car that was made to dominate a race track. it feels weird at first but you will get used to it and youll never want to get rid of it or drive one without it.

Many many questions to follow... I like this car, and so does the wife.
keep ?'s coming, but please search simple ones first.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:17 PM
2nd Gear

Don't fool around waiting to get the timing belt changed. There are numerous accounts of it going between 60K-80K.

You'll appreciate the knee braces when you are cornering. Just get used to the fact that they are there, There should be a pad on them stock, is that missing?

Old 01-09-2007, 11:24 PM
5th Gear

Also, they do support the dash, it'll be noisy (creaking) if you try to go anywhere w/o it, at least in my experience. I suppose if you were comfortable cutting what is most likely a very expensive piece of aluminum, you could cut the leg of the triangle out thats bothering you.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

They (braces)look like they just unscrew?(I wont cut) I will look again, I have only a few hours of experience here gang, hell I just found the CD changer LOL... There is a piece of silver plastic on there, but no "pad", that would rock! IF I am missing it post a pic so I can see.

How do I get at that front marker bulb? From the backside or underneath?

Whats a belt change usually cost? Is this DIY or just a pain to do and best hired out? $$$?

Whats that square in the front bumper that looks like jack access?

Whats a dash display cost? Do I need new or is used do-able?

Thanks gang!

Alex

Old 01-09-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: FXRocket

They (braces)look like they just unscrew?(I wont cut) I will look again, I have only a few hours of experience here gang, hell I just found the CD changer LOL... There is a piece of silver plastic on there, but no "pad", that would rock! IF I am missing it post a pic so I can see.

Mine is black but i guess it could be matching the interior. But it is a plastic peice that is clipped on the triangle.

How do I get at that front marker bulb? From the backside or underneath?

jack it up, you should be able to get at it by removing the wheel and liner.

Whats a belt change usually cost? Is this DIY or just a pain to do and best hired out? $$$?

if you are mechaniclly enclined it can be done. But if your not, or lack the confidence i would take it to someone. Pending on what you replace can cost upwards of a grand for labor (it takes a while)

Whats that square in the front bumper that looks like jack access?

people refer to them as aliens but they are headlight washers. Turn on your headlights and spray your windshield after about a sec you will hear the second motor click on and see extra spray coming at you.

Whats a dash display cost? Do I need new or is used do-able?

new several hundred, you may be able to find one junked and you it. I believe they readjust when replaced by a new one.

Thanks gang!

Alex

Old 01-10-2007, 12:14 AM

I had pixels out on my display when I bought it Nov 18th but now (after being in the dealer 2x, once for TB change, second time for shift lever replaced) the display is perfect. I dont know if the tech the second time new a fix or replaced it without telling me but it was definitely missing 4 or 5 lines (vertically) the day I towed it to the dealer.

There is also a post at audiworld (sorry for mentioning another forum, audiforums is def the superior place) that stated AofA replaced the cluster free of charge.

You can check out the post here ---> here

Old 01-10-2007, 12:28 AM
5th Gear

Yes, the aluminum does unscrew, but if you wanted to go w/o it completely, the dash sags just a little in the middle, making it squeak/creak a bit. I wouldn't remove both if you did think you needed to remove one, leave the other there for support.

Heres what they should look like, they do have just a little give to them they aren't hard plastic, but they're def. not soft either.

http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scf0009hs6.jpg
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5966/dscf0010sd8.jpg
http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scf0011mm1.jpg

Old 01-10-2007, 12:29 AM
5th Gear

weird angles, I took those pics from the pass side, sitting in the drivers seat, I took a pic of my own feet.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:53 AM
1st Gear

Thanks, those are what I have... I thought there was a pad...O that woulda been great... I just wish I was a tad smaller. I feel hulk like in this car..

Does this car make my *** look fat?

Quick Reply: Well, I got it home!