Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

You guys have serious suspension setups?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:30 PM
5th Gear
Default You guys have serious suspension setups?

Not really interested in those who went with lowering springs or a basic street tuned setup. I'm pretty set on the KW Variant 3 setup, but wanna make sure I'm not missing any other viable options.

I know there really isnt anyone here other than XCLR8TT that tracks their car, but maybe someone has already done their research into their dream suspension setup, or knows someone with a tuned setup.

My plans here are to totally screw ride comfort on the street, using instead, the best track setup I can, short of running a sh!tload of toe for steering response and scrubbing tires on the street.

Once the car hits a point, it'll be 90% track, and only a little street, and whatever it takes to drive it to the track (ok, and my pilgrimage to OC every fall).

So what serious options are there out there? Looked into the Stasis treatment, its a street tuned Koni setup, at first glance, wasnt too impressed, but maybe Im wrong.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:18 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: You guys have serious suspension setups?

I track my car but I'm on stock suspension. I'm looking into PSS9s or Koni coilovers. Iconsidered Stasis, but no Motorsport suspension is offered for quattro TTs. The bestbang seems to be coilovers for around 1300. My performance shop recommended Konis over the PSS9s b/c of the adjustors. Also, no PSS10s for TTs yet. If someone knows different, please speak up.

btw, what other parts are you changing on the suspension for your track setup?

Old 05-28-2008, 04:20 AM
2nd Gear

I take it from what you just said that toe increases steering response drastically?

See I got my new wheels on with 225/35/19 tires and the steering response was INCREDIBLE with those tiny sidewalls stretched slightly. Then I got my car aligned...the shop had to fix the toe somewhat. When I got the car back the tires were quieter but the steering response suffered noticeably. I checked tire pressures and they were same as before. I was wondering if the shop screwed up something or whether steering response was drastically affected by the toe angle.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:16 AM
5th Gear

DE- i've got Powerflex A-arm bushings, kmac strut tower camber/caster kit, and rear camber kit. Haven't decided what Im going to do about sway bars. Kinda thinking bigger biggest is best, as long as I have adjustability. I plan on making my own sway bar links w/ heim joints.

Murderface - Toe in = great straightline driveability toe neutral/out = steering response. too much of either scrubs tires, as they are at odds with each other.

Caster (the angle your tires are at compared to the top of your suspension) Imagine a shopping cart wheel. the axle trails behind where it attaches to the cart, and it always wants to drive straight. If you put that axle infront of where it attaches, it wants to turn at the slightest input. Same on the car. Caster affects camber thru a turn as well, as your suspension compresses, it imparts more neg. camber.
Camber adjusts for body distortion, roll, and tire roll. Probably the least important of the 3 aspects of an alignment, generally caster alignment only affects where the wear is on a tire (too much camber, tops of wheels close together, insides wear faster)

Generally I've had shops set me up with only a little neg. toe, a little more caster than spec, and try to set my static camber low.

Settings are definitely car to car, because the factory alignment specs are for a factory car. Stiffer bushings mean you need less toe for instance, because the stock soft bushings would make a FWD have more neg. toe on acceleration, as the front wheels try to pull forward, and therefore arc towards each other. I have hard bushings. Race cars would have almost non-existent bushings - rigid as possible.

Long story short, you might have had something good, and the numbed it down a bit.

I think I got all that right. I still confuse myself from time to time, its a lot of crap working together, and not always the easiest to understand.

This is actually a nice part about playing Forza. All that stuff is adjustable, so you can set a car up with an exaggerated amount of one setting, and see what happens. Either the car doesnt want to turn, or you hit a wall on a straight, because the thing wanders like crazy.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:17 AM
2nd Gear

Since I just got my stimulus check I might actually get the Statsis coils since I've been thinking about it for a long time. Plus I'm also getting my severance pay quite soon so I might get some more parts to go along with it... Matt, what is everything you've done in that area just full Kmac right? But yea what machine do you use I've been using a brand new Hunter... I hate doing a aliment on the TT... the wagon is worse.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm make believe

Just talk to M power this 1! and joe@ vortex and they can more than set you up

Old 05-29-2008, 04:53 PM
5th Gear

I'm set!

FS: KW Varient 3's

see Audiworld Classifieds under "Brakes and Suspension"

I bought these new earlier this year. They're

the stainless steel Inox set, adjustable for

height, compression and rebound with the latest:

8012 springs, rear reservoir relocation, etc

installed briefly on my car only (300 miles or so)

then removed due to personal preference on ride vs handling...

this is THE handling set up

Cost me $1465 shipped. Hard to beat that deal.