B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

00 1.8 limp? leak? freaky in general...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 06:55 PM
1st Gear
Default 00 1.8 limp? leak? freaky in general...?

Hey guys, i know i will get some replies telling me to use the search, and i have done. starting a new post because i could not find a experience exactly like mine that had already been hashed out by everyone.
So a little back story if you don't mind, my poor poor car (2000 1.8 ATW W/ APR chip) has been sitting in the drive for about two months now not even being moved due to a ankle surgery. only thing that has been done to it would be the install of a APR TIP.

Well today i had a buddy over, one of the very few i trust to drive me car, and talked him into a quick drive, just to keep the battery from going flat. everything was going fine, until the second time i told him to get on it. first time was ok, boosted up to a peak of around 20, like it normally does with my APR chip, then drifted down as normal and then my buddy got out of the throttle. told him to go again a little bit down the road and the car felt like it was hesitating for a moment, before taking off like a bat outta hell. buddy lifted off and when we got to the next hill it wouldn't build boost. he said it hit 24psi on the second pull after the initial little stumble (this kinda freaked me out because i had never seen it boost that high, and it felt like it was a accurate reading because it got up and went), but now at best it builds to 5psi, and if you stay in the throttle drops back to 0 and holds there. just before we got back it was starting to seem to get better, but only if he let off as soon as boost came on. was able to see the gauge hit 10, then drop the longer he stayed in it back to a eventual 0.

Now the 5psi thing stands out in my head as limp mode from other post ive read through.

The 0psi makes me think massive massive boost leak/something broken and alot of money going bye bye

The peaking at 10psi right at the end of the drive (before dropping back to 0) confuses the heck out of me.

I brought up the TIP install because in the course of putting that in i did have to persuade the N75 out of the way a couple of times and am wondering if i somehow could of damaged it???

Sorry no VAG-COM so i can't provide any information there, and i havent checked any hoses yet (again sorry, engine was warm, and its warm here today in general, and it's difficult when you cant use your right leg) but if anyone has any ideas i am more than willing to give it a try, I really want my car to be ready when i am able to drive again. i was about to say heck with it and buy a new n75 but figured i would ask here if anyone had any better ideas.

Thanks in advance as always guys, I appreciate it.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:32 AM
Legal Moderator

is there a cel? the n75 is a good place to start, but could also could be a boost leak. you'll need to do some checking. also inspect the wastegate

Old 06-14-2013, 10:53 AM
1st Gear

there was a cel but it was for secondary air pump whatever, comes on semi regularly in my car, am going to re do the vacuum lines going to and from n75 today just in case one cracked or got pinched when installing the TIP, and try and do a leak test to make sure i dont have anywhere else to worry about.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:01 PM
1st Gear

Ok, well let me start of by saying my bad. i know i never updated but i did do a leak test and that was good to go, jumped a hose to bypass N75 and got 7psi, ordered and installed a new one, pulled battery negative to reset limp mode, and all is well. after looking over the old n75 inside under more consistent light at the correct angle i noticed there was a small chunk of something in the port that would have come from the turbo housing. i got it out and it seems rubbery. i am a little worried that this was stuck in the port that was coming from the turbo, but all seems well now, and i have a extra n75 that probably has nothing wrong with it now the port is clear. thanks again forum.