B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1996 central locking Q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Default 1996 central locking Q's

Hi all, been using this forum but never had anything give me a headache until now....so, need to pick some brains that perhaps some of you can help me with. Searching but coming up with newer year info only.

Long story short, central locking stopped functioning completely after battery went completely flat while car was sitting, my fault. Locking never worked after and I simply ignored other than checking rear clp area for moisture and fuses, both ok. Now, everything works fine with the car short of interior lights not functioning except if key is pulled (radio shuts, and lights illuminate for some seconds). Have no remote, use manual locking via key but clp is non-responsive.

Found a local clp that matches p/n wise (4A0 862 257 J) and written on it says its from a 1997 A4. Was told it was in working order. Seller bought it for his car and didn't need it, sold car and had spare pump. Says it was tested on his car and worked.

Think, okay good score. Swapped out units, locks still not responding to switch. Put key in and try to start, nothing and alarm begins to sound with hazards.

Have a vag-com, cannot connect to 35-central locks but wasn't able to with original unit. Reading that it was a 97 and up thing. True?

Is there something I'm missing on pairing this new pump up to the other electrics?

Hoping someone with 1996 experience can help me out and perhaps explain to me what I'm possibly overlooking. Asked the local Audi dealer and VAG service center, was told that theses older pumps are plug and play and don't need coding.

Was thinking I'd like to test the pump in another car but don't know anyone with a 96/97 with that part number. Anyone near Ottawa willing to test this out for me? Maybe this pump is bad and I need some proof that it is.

Thanks, and my apologies in regards to the length of this post.

-Nick.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:01 PM

I have no idea here how this system works, but I will throw an idea out there..
What if there is nothing wrong with your pump, but something wrong with the "module" or relay or whatever it is that sends the signal to the pump? or is it all one unit?
I thought i read that the module is under the rear seat or something, but i know in my car the pump sounds like its near the gas door...

I'm going to have to dig into how it works a little bit, because my system works, but every time i lock or unlock the car it seems the pump runs for a looong time, like i have a leak in the system, but i have no idea where to start to look for it.