B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1998 A4 Quattro 2.8 won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:59 PM
1st Gear
Default 1998 A4 Quattro 2.8 won't crank

So starting last week my 98 Audi A4 2.8 (automatic trans) wouldn't crank. Luckily I had the option of taking the train to work. The thought occured to me during the day that often a neutral safety switch could cause this.

When I got home, I put the car into neutral and it started right up. The next day I drove to work, and a couple times I had to shift into neutral.

Well I stopped at the bank on the way home, and no amount of shifting into neutral or back in forth would get the car to crank.

I had ordered a new Ignition Starter Switch because I tried to place it last year, but the Uro Parts switch that I got didn't fit. I went back the next day to the bank parking lot and swapped the switch with the new Beck Arnley that I ordered. This switch fit, but it still wouldn't crank. The battery was showing proper voltage, but I tried to jump it anyways. No luck with that. I disconnected the battery, and touched the two battery cables together, hoping to reset the computer. Reconnected, and still no crank.

I'm thinking now either something with the key or possibly something with the solenoid (I had the car into the shop 2 weeks ago for some new tires, and they grinded the starter pretty bad because I had the faulty ignition switch in there.) I would have thought I'd at least hear a clicking if the starter motor was shot. And starting in Neutral didn't make much since to me if there was a problem with the starter. Does the 98 key contain a chip? I only have one key, and no keyless entry. I'm not sure if the car had one at one point. My bro bought the car and only got the one key

I had to get a tow, and I'm wondering if the mechanics will be able to diagnose the problem. This car is old and not pretty anymore, but I really don't want to buy a new one, and I don't want to sink a lot of money into this one.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!