B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1999 audi a4 1.8t smoke from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:00 PM
1st Gear
Default 1999 audi a4 1.8t smoke from exhaust

So I have posted on here all the other times and I have another issue! I believe that after I fix this issue I will be selling or trading this car in. Anyway lately I have noticed some smoke coming from my exhaust. When I start my car and leave it sit running for about 5 mins without moving it blows smoke out the exhaust, looks whitish color. It is not dark at all. It still smokes when I drive and then goes away after a minute or two of driving. It does not smoke or anything when sitting at red lights or stop signs. It ONLY smokes when sitting still while in park. It is a 1.8 turbo automatic quattro. I am not sure what the problem can be. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. Thank you for your time!

Old 07-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Administrator

What does the smole smell like? Fuel? Does it smell sweet?

Old 07-11-2011, 10:33 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
What does the smole smell like? Fuel? Does it smell sweet?
smells like fuel but not a sweet smell at all

Old 07-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Then you're running rich. If it was sweet, you'd be burning coolant. Does it only happen when the car is cold? Or anytime it's in park? At cold start the car is supposed to run rich so an amount of fuel smell is normal.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:40 AM
1st Gear

Honestly it seems to be whether the car is cold or at operating temp it seems to do it. I was going to replace my spark plugs and i do believe one of my pending codes was a o2 sensor at one time but it comes and goes. could that be it?

Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Definitely could be if it's happening with the car warm and the code is for a primary O2 sensor. Before you drop money on a new sensor, get a can of MAF cleaner and clean the MAF since that can also affect your fueling.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:53 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Definitely could be if it's happening with the car warm and the code is for a primary O2 sensor. Before you drop money on a new sensor, get a can of MAF cleaner and clean the MAF since that can also affect your fueling.
I will definitely do the MAF cleaner asap possibly today. I do not have any coolant in the oil, i just got an oil change on the 9th. But it was still smoking BEFORE the oil change. I thought it was smoking cuz I was due for an oil change so I tried that and it still smoked after the oil change. I will try and read the codes, I currently do not have CEL on but I hooked up the reader before and it read pending codes so maybe I have one again.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:23 AM
1st Gear

I did the MAF cleaner yesterday and have not had any more smoke. Will keep posted if it smokes again. Also I disconnected my battery for about half hour and my car has much better power! Why would unplugging the battery make a difference???

Old 07-17-2011, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

Ok .. so today at a stop sign I pulled out from the stop and some smoke came out again. I did buy a new fuel filter I will be putting in soon just because I do not think it has ever been replaced. Other than that I have no codes and it runs fine and idles fine. Just random smoke.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:59 PM
2nd Gear

Have you used any additives lately? I put some fuel injector cleaner in one time and that happened for a little while. Another possibility could maybe be that oil is seeping into the combustion chamber because the seals in the turbo are going bad or something.

Quick Reply: 1999 audi a4 1.8t smoke from exhaust