B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2001 Audi a4 overheating HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 12:15 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 Audi a4 overheating HELP!!!

Hey every one i know there must be someone on here to get me pointed in the right direction i just got my first audi 3 days ago its a 2001paint audi a4 and i dont really know how to fix them or the prices to fix them i got the car and the coolent was slightly above the min line for coolent i started opening it when it was warm and it was about to come shooting out but i quickly shut it again did i get it vapor locked?? so this is what its doing i can start it and drive it no power loss but even if im being easy on it and not going fast it will over heat from 1/4 mile to 2 miles me and my dad have tried to bleed the system but we dont know how properly on a Audi and all of the forums all say basically its a pain in the *** but we thought we might have got it this last time i made it about 7 miles before the heat light came on but at about the 4th mile it started smoking before it even got hot and the owner before me said that that the water pump and timing belt and turbo was replace so the question is what is this and how much will it cost please help fast

Old 04-15-2013, 11:26 PM
1st Gear

White smoke means coolant in your exhaust. The heater core is the high point in the system. You'll find the hoses beside the battery, probably under a plastic shroud. The left hose has a small hole in it. Unclamp the hose, slide the hose back to expose the hole, unscrew your expansion tank and lift it until coolant comes out of the hole in the hose. While still holding the expansion tank up, slide the hose back on. Clamp the hose and put the expansion tank back and you're done. Here's a good picture: 10 thousand dollar POS can anyone help ? - Page 2 - AudiWorld Forums

Old 04-16-2013, 01:28 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by jeckel20003
White smoke means coolant in your exhaust. The heater core is the high point in the system. You'll find the hoses beside the battery, probably under a plastic shroud. The left hose has a small hole in it. Unclamp the hose, slide the hose back to expose the hole, unscrew your expansion tank and lift it until coolant comes out of the hole in the hose. While still holding the expansion tank up, slide the hose back on. Clamp the hose and put the expansion tank back and you're done.
bingo.

also take a look at the thermostat. your problem as you describe it seems like a bad thermostat also

Old 04-16-2013, 09:02 AM
1st Gear

I can't imagine that air in the heater core will vapor lock the rest of the system.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:18 PM
1st Gear
Default 1998 Audi A4 1.8 auto

hey everyone i just recently purchased a 1998 Audi A4 from an elderly couple who have had the car from new with full Audi service history the lot in the last couple of days it seems to have developed an overheating problem if i start the car and let it warm up it goes to the 90 degree mark on the gauge as it should but as soon as i drive the car it goes up as far as 120 degrees its not lost any water it has no leaks the heater still blows out hot air i believe the coolant is circulating round the system ive been told a number of things but would like to get as close to the problem as i can any ideas would be most helpful thanks

Old 04-17-2013, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

As to both cars overheating, I would definitely first check to make sure both the main fan and auxilary fan are coming on when the vehicle reaches operating temp... They have issues going bad and the module and fans have to be replaced.. You can force check the fan by turning the a/c with compresor engaged... If both fans don't come on then the resulting fan that isnt turning on is your overheating issue. There is also a good chance if the car has ever overheated the wax pellet in the thermostat is no longer any good and you should replace the thermostat(even if your heater core blows hot air the thermostat may not be fully opening). You can check for basic water pump flow by warming your vehicle up and having someonestep on the gas pedal and check the return flow line on the top of the coolant reservoir. There is also a thermo switch for the fans on the backside of the radiator that can fail.. You should be able to resistance check this and as the vehicle heats up resistance should change to engage the fans... Hope some of this may help... best of luck..

Old 06-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Bpo
1st Gear

I have an 01 a4 1.8t and we had no heat this was 20 000 kms after having timing belt pump service done by dealer the diagnosis I got from the mech not at dealer said checked everything can only be the pump me trusting this guy had checked everything else he proceeded to chsnge pump gave it back to me with nice heat pumping and the pump he took out from dealer that looks brand new still. That being said first drive afterward up north it started to overheat on me Never had that problem before ?? Then the heat slowly faded away so I start to ask some questions with another mechanic at the shop that did the second water pump and after they did the pump there was still no heat so they flushed the heater core boom heat hoping I wouldn't find out well I did cause I'm not an idiot and got my money back then did the heater core cause that's what I thought was my problem bad coolant flow. Well that fixed the heat issue for now I haven't driven it much cause the coolant light keeps coming on and the temp is still goin up to 100c so I talk to mechanic that put in the second pump and he said it was different then the one he took out that dealer put in and the one e put in impellers where bigger and metal as opposed to dealer one which was plastic. Any ideas please it's my wife's car and she driving me nuts cause she have to drive my hemi and she don't like paying the fuel I've tossed everything at this car over winter ac fan clutch fan all trying to fix the heat and over heatin issue I think I have the heat solved after the heater core but I haven't driven it far and it's summer now so would I be right in thinking that the pump that was swapped is causing my over heating cause it never did it before and I have the pump still and looks brand new ?? Please help I'm so tired I this car right now