B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2001 A4 B5 aftermarket rear speaker hookup

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 01:00 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 A4 B5 aftermarket rear speaker hookup

Hi, I have just installed an aftermarket deck, Pioneer model#:deh-p610bt, on a 2001 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro. Front speakers work fine. I installed subwoofers as well, they work just fine. However, the rear speakers I am having trouble with. I have hooked them up with the aftermarket harness and soldering the wires to the corresponding colors. I have heard that if I locate the rear speaker ?amp? I can use rcas to plug in the back of the aftermarket deck I have? How is this done? Are there rca input/output on the stock audi rear speaker amp? I have been using the template on the stock deck, but having trouble locating the rear speaker wires. I have seen this problem before all over Audizine and Audiworld, but cannot find a solution. If it does have a solution, I would appreciate the help. Thanks!

PS I have the non-bose symphony set up.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:14 AM
1st Gear

What harness did you get? Does it come with this orange connector?

It is needed as the rear speakers are powered by the OEM amp mounted under the driver's side rear speaker using the low level signal coming from the deck. The speaker level wiring for the rear that you wired up is not connected to anything. How many RCA pairs come out of your Pioneer deck? Do you have 3 sets? Front, Rear and Sub?

If you don't have the Orange connector then you can either get one, or make your own RCA connectors. For me I like things to be 100% reversible but others don't care. Let me know what you want to do and I can walk you through it. First give a more detailed outline of how you have things hooked up to what and where. i.e. the rear RCA output of my deck is hooked up to my sub ect.

Doug

Old 06-12-2013, 01:21 AM
1st Gear

The harness I got is just the one that came with the deck. I do have 3 sets of rcas in the back of my deck though. I have been cutting wires from the stock harness and just connecting them to the corresponding wires to the harness that came with my pioneer deck. Is there an easy way to access the amplifier? By just taking off the door panel? Are there rca inputs on the stock deck to just directly connect them to the rear rca set on the back of my Pioneer deck?

Old 06-13-2013, 01:15 AM
1st Gear

Well if you already started snipping wires then no reason to stop now I guess. What you need to do is take a set of RCA cables and cut the ends off leaving enough room to wire the ends up to the OEM wiring harness in the dash. Take the black connector pictured below and locate the line-out wires by using the diagram on the back of the Symphony unit. The wires your are looking to connect to the cut RCA wires are denoted by RR (right rear) and LR (left rear) and Com for ground. You will also want to cut the wire with the symbol _/+_ which is the remote amp on. Don't mind the circles. I am reusing old diagrams.

Take the cut RCA cable ends and strip the outer sheathing to expose the ground wiring. Now strip the inner sheathing to expose the core. Do the same for the other RCA end.

Snip the corresponding RR, LR, Com, and _/+_ wires on the black connector and strip the sheathing. Solder the core of one RCA to the RR wire, then the core of the other RCA to the LR. Take care not to have the core touching the ground wire. Tape up your core before soldering the ground wire. Now twist the outer wiring of both RCA ends and solder them to the Com wire from the black connector.

Now take the remote wire from the black connector and solder it to the remote wire from the head unit (blue with white wire most likely already connected to your sub amp). Tape up your work and plug your rear RCA output from your deck to your newly created RCA wires.

Turn on your head unit and test to see if you get sound. If you do then button it up and all is good. If you don't then something is up. Post up if you run into problems or have specific questions. Good luck.

Doug

Last edited by Cybersombosis; 06-13-2013 at 01:20 AM.