B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

3 warning beeps but nothing else...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 04:39 PM
1st Gear
Default 3 warning beeps but nothing else...

Started my car up today (after not driving it yesterday at all) and backed out of the driveway. As I made my way up the road I had 3 warning beeps. My display screen is all kinds of messed up so I can't make out what it says( probably 70% of the pixels are dead).

I've had a low level of windshield wiper fluid for awhile now so I can see the yellow warning on the display telling me that but in the manual it said if a High Priorty problem occured(which is accompanied by 3 beeps) then all secondary priority problems are not displayed. Well my display still has the yellow windshield fluid low warning on the screen.

No new indicartor lights came on(my check engine light is on due to a faulty
O2 sensor I am going to replace in a few days) but no ABS or anything has come on.

The final thing is, it only did the 3 beep once. I drove further down the road expecting it to repeat itself at certain intervals but it never did. I pulled into a parking lot probably 5 miles away turned the car off and pulled out manual for a few minutes then started the car and it gave the regular single beep(for my windshield wiping fluid) but nothing else, drove home and the car didn't act unusual.

The engine temp is normal (right under the middle). Had my oil changed about two months ago and there are no oil stains in my parking spot.

Scared to drive the thing even though the 3 beeps weren't accompanied by any warning lights and never did it again. Help.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:47 PM
1st Gear

take it to autozone or something and get the codes

Old 12-22-2009, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

Well, I was about to head to AAP to get someone to scan but I decided for some reason to check my oil level.

Cleaned the dipstick off and put it back in, the thing was bone dry. Tried a few more times and it kept coming out clean. Drove my other car to AAP grabbed some high milage Castrol and poured 1 bottle in and let it sit for a few minutes. When I checked the dipstick the oil level was right under the beveled mark, so I poured about half of another bottle and it was right at the top of the mark.

I had my oil changed at about 98,000 miles. Since then I've had the timing belt changed and CV axle replaced, now the car is at 101,500 miles. I guess I'm having some slow oil burn off(no oil stains in the driveway) so I need to get the oil changed every 3,000-ish miles(also I had not been having syntheic put in the car, which I will once I get from the holidays).

EDIT: Also, I was thinking of putting some engine oil conditioner in. Any recommendations? Or if I should do it at all.

Last edited by Lyle_Hatt; 12-22-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: extra question
Old 12-22-2009, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

do a sea foam treatment, just search for it plenty of stuff should come up. and you def need to check your oil more haha.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:34 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, I'll check the stuff out tomorrow.

I think what happened was my old car shop put Synthetic in and always wrote up the milage I should come back with (around 7,000 I think). Well I switched repair shops due to the newer one being more efficient and careful about the work they do. I had my oil changed with them recently and they put some in-house formula in. I paid it no attention, but now know I need to ask for Synthetic and more frequent visits.

I just checked into it and I didn't know A4's had such bad oil consumption. I'm assuming this in-house oil they used burned off much more quickly than the synthetic I use to have put in(only had it changed once with them so far).

I just poured Castrol High Milage.........I want to say 10W40, is that good for now?

Old 12-22-2009, 06:41 PM
4th Gear

speaking of castrol... where can i find the castrol euro formula crap? right now im using mobil 1 full synthetic but i was told the euro spec stuff was better? is this true... or jsut matter of opinion?

Old 12-22-2009, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

everyone has their own opinion on oil, i use the mobil 1 euro formula

Old 12-22-2009, 10:36 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
speaking of castrol... where can i find the castrol euro formula crap? right now im using mobil 1 full synthetic but i was told the euro spec stuff was better? is this true... or jsut matter of opinion?
German Castrol is better than M1. Period. It's not an opinion. An opinion would be more like whether you think M1 is good enough, or whether GC is "the best," etc. Testing has more or less always put GC ahead of M1. You can get it at Autozone.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:25 AM
4th Gear

German Castrol is better than M1. Period. It's not an opinion. An opinion would be more like whether you think M1 is good enough, or whether GC is "the best," etc. Testing has more or less always put GC ahead of M1. You can get it at Autozone.
opinion...

Old 12-23-2009, 08:32 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
opinion...
Nope. Show me tests at BITOG or otherwise that put M1 ahead of GC.

Quick Reply: 3 warning beeps but nothing else...