B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

'97 a4 2.6 maf?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by stig.bjerke
...I got this 1997 Audi A4 Quattro with the 2.6 V6 (Engine code ABC)... I'm building a cone filter system for my engine...
Kindly explain what is the benefit of this modification?

The 'cone' filter is not in the direct path of incoming air flow and will draw hot air from the engine compartment into the MAF providing you with a hotter air charge than the factory inlet system and lower kW/horsepower output from this engine.

If you have the intention to increase either kW output or torque, you will need to find a way to divert cold air into that cone arrangement or another means to cool the incoming air.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:54 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by HBAudi
Kindly explain what is the benefit of this modification?

The 'cone' filter is not in the direct path of incoming air flow and will draw hot air from the engine compartment into the MAF providing you with a hotter air charge than the factory inlet system and lower kW/horsepower output from this engine.

If you have the intention to increase either kW output or torque, you will need to find a way to divert cold air into that cone arrangement or another means to cool the incoming air.

It is in the direct path of cold air. The intake that provides air for the original filter box is pointed right at the filter. Plus cold air flows trough the lower grille and is diverted up underneath the filter.

My intention with it was what I got when I had it on this summer, smoother acceleration and better sound.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

It is in the direct path of cold air. The intake that provides air for the original filter box is pointed right at the filter. Plus cold air flows trough the lower grille and is diverted up underneath the filter.

My intention with it was what I got when I had it on this summer, smoother acceleration and better sound.
Perhaps the sound is worth the drop off in power. When the vehicle is standing at a traffic signal or moving slowly, hot air from the engine compartment is what is being used. The small hose from the top of the radiator support is not providing air flow since the movement of the vehicle coupled with the vacuum created by the engine is unable to draw enough cool air into that area.

The only reason I have an interest with the intent is I often see this type of arrangement on Japanese-engined vehicles that is more for appearance than function. I guess only a dynamometer can provide the information on power output.

How does the vehicle pass the local emissions testing with this inlet configuration?

Old 12-18-2013, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

Again, the air round the air filter is cool when I'm driving as the flow trough the grille goes right trough that funnel and it also comes in from the bottom. I highly doubt there's any power change either way except for a little different power curve on an engine with only 150hp. On a more powerful engine however, I can see some difference in power. I'm mostly did it for the sound. I have the original box on again now though.

I haven't done emission testing with the cone filter, but I can't see why it would be any different then original.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

Again, the air round the air filter is cool when I'm driving as the flow trough the grille goes right trough that funnel and it also comes in from the bottom. I highly doubt there's any power change either way except for a little different power curve on an engine with only 150hp. On a more powerful engine however, I can see some difference in power. I'm mostly did it for the sound. I have the original box on again now though.
If you are content with the sound, then I guess it is worth the effort.

...I haven't done emission testing with the cone filter, but I can't see why it would be any different then original.
Some places, such as here in California, will fail a vehicle for the emissions test unless the modification is approved and tested on that MY vehicle and has a certification number. Perhaps this is not the case where your vehicle is operated.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:18 PM
1st Gear

As long as the filter does a good job filtering the **** out of the air intake, your fine.

Everyone talks about HP and sound, but the "cone filters" purpose is filter the incoming air charge, unless I am again, misinformed.

Getting crap into the intake manifold can be a disaster for the engine, that's why I haven't modded my intake yet.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:30 PM
1st Gear

The K&N filter are supposed to filter everything out like it should.

If you are content with the sound, then I guess it is worth the effort.
The sound ended up amazing together with the 2.5" exhaust. I took it off during the winter as the engine makes some pretty nasty sounds when I start it up cold in cold weather. The cone filter just makes it 3 times as loud.

Some places, such as here in California, will fail a vehicle for the emissions test unless the modification is approved and tested on that MY vehicle and has a certification number. Perhaps this is not the case where your vehicle is operated.
In Norway it only has to pass the EU test, which is safety and emission out of the exhaust. So as far as I know only suspension and brakes needs to be Tüv certefied.