B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

'97 B5 A4 2.8L "clutch kit advise needed -asap"

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:32 PM
1st Gear
Default '97 B5 A4 2.8L "clutch kit advise needed -asap"

I'm looking for a "stage 2" or "stage 3" clutch kit with a new flywheel.
Can any of you help me out looking for one.
I need it before Tuesday.

Here's the details of my car: 1997 A4 Quattro 2.8L (not sure if its 12v or 30v? that confuses me)

Old 09-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Administrator

It's a 12v and you'll be hard pressed to find upgraded parts for it - curious why you feel the need for a clutch like that? Call Mike Hood at Ringer Racing - he's the man when it comes to stuff like that.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

Pepboys installed the wrong clutch kit for my car, after then on its been causing issues. I just got done filing a complaint against them to DMV, now they have no choice but to install a new clutch kit in replace of the wrong one they installed, I just have to pay whatever difference of whatever clutch kit I decide.

I need a decision made before tuesday, that is why I'm in a rush with choices.

and thnx. i will contact him.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by b5qttro97
Pepboys installed the wrong clutch kit for my car, after then on its been causing issues. I just got done filing a complaint against them to DMV, now they have no choice but to install a new clutch kit in replace of the wrong one they installed, I just have to pay whatever difference of whatever clutch kit I decide.

I need a decision made before tuesday, that is why I'm in a rush with choices.

and thnx. i will contact him.
still why do you need a stage 3 stage 2 that's like over kill, what are you supercharger? i think you are looking for stage 1 or oem that is it.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by b5qttro97
I'm looking for a "stage 2" or "stage 3" clutch kit with a new flywheel.
Can any of you help me out looking for one.
I need it before Tuesday.

Here's the details of my car: 1997 A4 Quattro 2.8L (not sure if its 12v or 30v? that confuses me)
If it's a 97, it's a 12v. 98 and up were the 30v motors. The numbers refer to the number of valves in the heads on each motor. The 12v has two valves per cylinder, multiplied by 6 cylinders, is 12 valves. Likewise the 30v has 5 valves per cylinder. There are several more important mechanical differences between the two engines, so it's good to use the "12v/30v" label to specify which engine you're talking about.

Originally Posted by Subarashī Kao
still why do you need a stage 3 stage 2 that's like over kill, what are you supercharger? i think you are looking for stage 1 or oem that is it.
^This. Even with a supercharger you'd be pushing single digit boost and barely more than 200 ft/lbs of torque. A mildly upgraded clutch would be plenty.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:42 AM

plus your going to hate your life driving a stage 3 clutch on that car, it will be a stall machine .

Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 PM
1st Gear

i dont understand much of what you all are saying. I have no plan on racing my car, that may sound funny as to why I want a stage 3 clutch. After seeing reviews on Fx300 and Fx400 I'm debating whether to get one of the two. I mainly want it changed because of the "feel" of it. Others have upgraded their clutch kit on Honda's even with a stock engine. I've done it and I like the feel of it with a stage 2. Now, I understand my car is not a Honda. I'm confused as to why some of you said it be a problem on my engine and I would hate a stage 3? more info please.... I'de appreciate it.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Administrator

A stage 3 is a lot closer to a "light switch" feel. At one point in the pedal travel it'll be fully disengaged, and half an inch later it's fully engaged. You might say you want to change the feel of it but you need to find out more of what you'd be changing it to. You're not racing it, and you won't be modding it for power (getting power from a 12v is like trying to get head from a nun), so just get a factory clutch and drive the car and be done. I'm not sure anyone even makes an "upgraded" clutch for a 12v because there's no point since its next to impossible to make the power that would require more clamping force.

To reiterate - buy a stock clutch and drive the car. And for the love of god, stay the f*ck out of pep boys for drivetrain work. Get your air fresheners there and stop at that point.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

Ok so basically this is how I understand it. Changing it to a stage 3 or 4 is going to make my car run slower than it already is, the fact that its a stock engine & no supercharger? I don't understand "MAN terms" lol. What do you mean getting power from a 12v is like getting head from a nun? lol! I'm a woman here, lol which i know most of you are like "ok that makes sense no wonder she's a girl." lol.

Why is there a stage 3 and stage 4 clutch kit then for a car like mine, if you say that its useless? I know I'm not racing the car, If ever i do mod it up it be more of looks, suspension work, wheel and tires, exterior and interior work.

Also, I wasn't the one that brought the car to pepboys, my dad did. He wasn't thinking. I honestly don't trust autozone neither pepboys to fix any car in general. I have my own mechanic. But, I'm just getting as much information as possible because, I need a new clutch kit installed soon for my car this week. I want to know my options in improving performance.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Legal Moderator

a clutch will not increase pefromance, it can only hold your engines performance. or slip under its performance. since you are not making any more torque than a standard engine, an upraded clutch not only makes zero since, it will cost you more than a standard clutch. do yourself a favor and purchase a oem clutch. as for the "stage 3 or 4" clutch for your car, im puzzled as well as to why any company would make an upgraded clutch. do what you want, but any upgraded clutch would be a waste. if i were in your situation, id buy an oem luk kit hands down