B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

98 just turned 100k! sounds like a rattle can???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 03:29 PM
1st Gear
Default 98 just turned 100k! sounds like a rattle can???

So recently when I am driving my car it sounds like a I have a can of spray paint in my back right C pillar... My girlfriend was driving behind me and she said it was audible from in her car to with her windows down.. It only happens when I go over bumbs and uneven pavement. But its loud.. car handles fine.. took the tire off tomake sure all the suspension components were tight and they were.. mods listed in sig

neuspeed rear sway, with rs4 endlinks, bilstein adjustables with neuspeed race springs.. I am worried.. my springs have a rubber guard on them..So I dont believe its coil slap...

please help

Old 04-08-2011, 06:07 PM

I had a weird problem, don't know if it's related but anyways... One of my rear brake pads wasn't seated correctly, so it wasn't being held in properly and was able to slide around. The noise was most audible going over bumps, but there was no noise when the brakes or e-brake were applied.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

hmm I checked the rotors and they seemed tight.. this is so weird.. I crawled under the car to see if the sub frame was cracked or anything.. from what I saw everything is intact/tight. I am running my sway bar on the stiffest setting...

Old 04-08-2011, 08:08 PM
2nd Gear

Did you see if any body parts were loose. Maybe when you hit a bump some plastic smacks some stuff. If it was a shock or suspension component it should make the noise cornering.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

The rear is like unibody. It sounds like metal on metal knocking back and forth. very similar to the noise of a spray paint can w/ the marble in it.. it doesnt make any noise while im cornering.. only when driving and going over bumps..

Old 04-08-2011, 08:52 PM
2nd Gear

Did you peek u der and see in anything is hanging off or such. If it was suspension it would pro ally do it while the suspension is being stressed in cornering

Old 04-08-2011, 10:59 PM
1st Gear

what type of rear suspension did you have. i might be wrong but i thought there was a spit in the 97 98 area when they changed the rear suspension from the old style with the adjustable upper control arm. that old style has the control arms as a common problem along with the bushing for the lower control arm towards the front. to feel play it the upper control arm you have to jack in up and try and wiggle the tire from top to bottom VERY hard and you can feel play in it. the lower bushing have 2 big washers that contain the bushing if the bushings are bad you will notice the inside edge of the washer will be hammered/polished from hitting the bracket.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:27 AM
1st Gear

hmmm.... I will investigate and report back.

thank you!

Old 04-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Look at your subframe again - if you don't have the triangulating subframe braces in there, you're not supposed to run the stiffest setting - it's known to crack subframe.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:04 PM
5th Gear

check the rear muffler

Quick Reply: 98 just turned 100k! sounds like a rattle can???