B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

99 a4 1.8t keyless wont work

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 04:08 PM
1st Gear
Default 99 a4 1.8t keyless wont work

hello guys i need help with my keyless entry it stoped working.... i replaced the batteries it still doesn't work..... also my lock on the driver door doesn't work, so i have to open it from the trunk lol. how can i resync the remote and how do i find out if the remote is broken?

thanks

Old 12-24-2010, 09:47 PM
4th Gear

When you hit the fob, can you hear a buzzing/ humming form the trunk, or do the power locks still work with the button on the door? If you can hear the humming, and the door button doesn't work, you probably had the central lock pump self destruct on you. Mine did before I even bought the car, and I have yet to get around to replacing it...

Old 12-24-2010, 10:03 PM
1st Gear

my key fob doesnt work either.

it says in the owners manual how to sync it with the car again, your supposed to hold the lock button down, and then lock the doors, and then it should work, but it doesn't work for me anymore

i replaced batteries, did this and it worked for about a week, then just stopped working. tried both of the fobs and neither work.

i just got into the habit of putting the key in the door and turning.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:05 PM
1st Gear

There are a couple of write-ups on this if you look around. I believe you must have 2 of the switchblade keys to do the procedure. This is to say that if you only have 1 switchblade and the valet key, for instance, it won't work. When I bought my car I didn't get 2 switchblade keys, and haven't been able to get my fob working either. It kind of sucks, but now I'm used to it

Old 01-01-2011, 02:13 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by twaker2
There are a couple of write-ups on this if you look around. I believe you must have 2 of the switchblade keys to do the procedure. This is to say that if you only have 1 switchblade and the valet key, for instance, it won't work. When I bought my car I didn't get 2 switchblade keys, and haven't been able to get my fob working either. It kind of sucks, but now I'm used to it
You shouldnt need two switchbaldes. Should be able to put the valet in the ignition and the switchblade in the door to program the switchblade. Before you do it put a new battery cause its probably dead from sitting around.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

I have the same problem. Central locking is working: when I put the key in the drivers door and turn to the lock position all doors lock and alarm is armed as indicated by the blinking lights on the driver and passenger side doors and a beep from the horn (lights do not blink however).

I only have ONE switchblade key and ONE valet key and I haven't been able to program the switchblade key using any of the methods described anywhere. Is there a method specifically for the 99 A4 1.8T? Does it matter that my switchblade key has the immobilizer chip?

Additionally most of the instructions on reprogramming the key say that you MUST have TWO switchblade keys is this correct? and why would it matter?

Also is it possible for central locking to be working but not the remote receiver/sensor?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

It seems I have the same issue as Kyle h. Let me know of you guys figure something out.

My keyless work like 2 days ago and then I didn't lock it all day yesterday. And the last night, I guess it stopped working all together.

Keep it together German car!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:58 PM
2nd Gear

I think you guys need to program your fob keys with a vag-com,i used my 3rd party vag-com to programmed my 01 A4 1.8T AWM to unlock all the doors when i hit 15 mph and to unlock all the doors and the truck,when i pull my key out of the ignition.

I also programmed my switchblade FOB key to open and close the windows by keeping the lock button pressed to close the windows and keeping the unlock button pressed to open the windows. ( sun/moon roof will only close with the fob keyless,not open,i have to open the sun roof manually )

Last edited by morpheous; 02-04-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:24 AM
1st Gear

Scratch that.....It started magically working again after I goofed around using the key in the door.

Which means it may go again later. Shis.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys any ideas how to fix the keyless entry feature? The fob works and it locks/unlocks the car, but the keyless feature when you don't have to take the key out of your pocket won't work..

Quick Reply: 99 a4 1.8t keyless wont work