B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

a4 2.8 differences between 12V & 30V

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:44 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: a4 2.8 differences between 12V & 30V

uhh 12v has 184ft-lb thats enough Torque for a 96 car lol and they made a mid 97 model i guess you can call it a "1997.5" where they changed the hitachi ECU to the bosch ECU afterward, so yes mid 97 models as long as it has a BOSCH then it can be chipped if its a v6.

and what do you mean 98s are faster? i have beatin plenty of 98 audi a4 v6's when i was stock!!! or almost stock, i had my intake at the time....but either way i still should of lost!!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:13 PM
4th Gear

both reliable motors, 12v is simpler, and not gay, when i bought my second audi it was either a 12v V6 or a 97 1.8t i picked the v6 because it dosent break like the 1.8t. pretty much just there for reliability, not tuner friendly. good on gas for a V6. my small 15gal tank gets me about 300 +/-20 miles.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:30 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: SAudi

both reliable motors, 12v is simpler, and not gay, when i bought my second audi it was either a 12v V6 or a 97 1.8t i picked the v6 because it dosent break like the 1.8t. pretty much just there for reliability, not tuner friendly. good on gas for a V6. my small 15gal tank gets me about 300 +/-20 miles.
It's okay, we still love you

Old 02-06-2008, 12:55 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: 1SIKA4

uhh 12v has 184ft-lb thats enough Torque for a 96 car lol and they made a mid 97 model i guess you can call it a "1997.5" where they changed the hitachi ECU to the bosch ECU afterward, so yes mid 97 models as long as it has a BOSCH then it can be chipped if its a v6.

and what do you mean 98s are faster? i have beatin plenty of 98 audi a4 v6's when i was stock!!! or almost stock, i had my intake at the time....but either way i still should of lost!!
the 30v has more hp and tq, it is faster. only reason you beat a 30v is cause you were a better driver.

the 12v just doesn't have any mods. nobody is gona put the money and r&d into that motor. the 30v has a little bit of aftermarket support but not much. you can supercharge it or do a custom turbo setup but the block wasn't meant to take that much power so you'll have to build the block quite a bit if your looking for serious power. whereas with a 1.8t you can push ~400hp with stock internals and there is a large aftermarket support.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:18 AM
3rd Gear

NO, The 30v is superior to the 12v in every way. Like Chaos said, you beat the driver, not the car. You wasted money on an intake, and "custom exhaust" doesn't do much of anything either.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:47 AM
2nd Gear

yeah the 30v is definitlely better. i think its faster than stock 1.8Ts too isnt it?

Old 02-06-2008, 07:59 AM
1st Gear

LOL well of course this car isent made for power...its made strictly to remain N/A but why dont people make parts for the 12v? only because the ECU is not chippable... i bet you if anything if the 96 v6 12v had a Bosch instead of a Hitachi ECU they would be making superchargers left and right for this car...why do i say that because PES-Tuning told me that as info to drag along with me during this project im doing with this custom turbo and atleast gave me support because they know its possible, and also said if i get a stand along ECU i would be able to support "THEIR" supercharger just like the 30vs...Now yes the 30vs are better only because of new thinking in the next 2 years they were developing the v6 motor because every car company wants to improve their model cars as years progress but i wouldnt say "superior" just a step above. If it was "superior" then every single part would be changable "LIKE HONDAS" and that motor would be able to handle 3 or 4 times as much power as the 12v v6 STOCK with no internals. The point im getting to is yall down the 12v v6 motor because of its restrictions, those restrictions can be modded and changed but with more money and extra time. The V6 12v motor can handle stock up to 300HP Audi was making these engines strong in 96 as well just because a company dosent make a product for a car dosent mean its not capible of some good HP.

thats all

Old 02-06-2008, 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Pablo_Ottawa

12V slow, less torque and GAY!!!!

30V Faster can be modded more and less GAY!!!
Dude don't be a donkey. I don't think I'd call anything with four rings on it gay, well stock that is.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:44 PM
5th Gear

LOL well of course this car isent made for power...its made strictly to remain N/A but why dont people make parts for the 12v? only because the ECU is not chippable... i bet you if anything if the 96 v6 12v had a Bosch instead of a Hitachi ECU they would be making superchargers left and right for this car...why do i say that because PES-Tuning told me that as info to drag along with me during this project im doing with this custom turbo and atleast gave me support because they know its possible, and also said if i get a stand along ECU i would be able to support "THEIR" supercharger just like the 30vs...Now yes the 30vs are better only because of new thinking in the next 2 years they were developing the v6 motor because every car company wants to improve their model cars as years progress but i wouldnt say "superior" just a step above. If it was "superior" then every single part would be changable "LIKE HONDAS" and that motor would be able to handle 3 or 4 times as much power as the 12v v6 STOCK with no internals. The point im getting to is yall down the 12v v6 motor because of its restrictions, those restrictions can be modded and changed but with more money and extra time. The V6 12v motor can handle stock up to 300HP Audi was making these engines strong in 96 as well just because a company dosent make a product for a car dosent mean its not capible of some good HP.

thats all
well almost ANY engine can put down sick numbers if you dump enough money into them. so that doesn't really help your point. the fact is, BECAUSE of the ecu, it is undesirable to mod. also even if you went standalone and did the exact same setup on the 12v and 30v, the 30v would be faster. it can breath much better due to having 5 valves per cylinder, instead of just 2. pretty much anything with only 2 valves per cylinder isn't very desirable to mod, you'd want at least 4. so the 12v really is inferior to the 30v. audi modified it and made it better for a reason

Old 02-06-2008, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

thats all
well almost ANY engine can put down sick numbers if you dump enough money into them. so that doesn't really help your point. the fact is, BECAUSE of the ecu, it is undesirable to mod. also even if you went standalone and did the exact same setup on the 12v and 30v, the 30v would be faster. it can breath much better due to having 5 valves per cylinder, instead of just 2. pretty much anything with only 2 valves per cylinder isn't very desirable to mod, you'd want at least 4. so the 12v really is inferior to the 30v. audi modified it and made it better for a reason
I understand were your coming from with that, but obviously anyone in their right mind would know that and as i said before the motor is not for high end because of these restrictions, 1 reason being valves per cylinder, so its not a GAY motor as stated with previous posters, VW 12vs are even making sweet numbers only because their modable and no one is doggin them which does prove my point of just because no "company" decided to make something for it people dont like it and it takes people like ME to defend it and have the willing to make a motor that CAN be modded have good power in the end. Regardless adding a supercharger thats made for 30vs the 12v would get close to the same HP out of it with no internals, its not gonna be a major difference atleast not a 100HP difference. So i still think its not superior its only superior when you have to spend more money on other things to get that superior number above a 12v.

lol now come on you got to understand were im coming from. I know the 12v isent all that but its STILL an Audi built motor it can handle just good enough power to be just good enough and thats the whole point im trying to come across...with everything this motor is still capible of 300HP witch is reasonable for a car that started out in the 90's with about 140WHP and 174 engine HP.

Quick Reply: a4 2.8 differences between 12V & 30V