B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

a4 2.8 differences between 12V & 30V

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Default RE: a4 2.8 differences between 12V & 30V

It really depends on what you want to get out of the car. If you want a daily driver and something you can enjoy throwin to third gear and illegally passing a porsche with should narrow down your choice. I have a 12v and I'm still in high school, so for what my use of it is works out well..and I still track it and have fun with it. Not incredibly powerful, but still something to take pride in.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:59 AM
1st Gear

IF you want a daily driver and reliability, get the 12v 2.8l. there are lots of them on these forums with 160k+miles. mine just rolled 188k. the Hitachi ECU blows *****, and there are no tuning options, nor is there any reason to put anything more than gas and oil in it.

The 30v motor makes more power than the 12v, and has chip options with "debatable" results for the money. You have the opportunity for a supercharger system that has been proven very reliable power, but you're at 5g's + for the system. Again, unless you are going supercharger, I wouldn't waste the money on an intake and exhaust.

If you have the need to tune and build, and the bank to do it right, skip the 2.8l all together and get the 1.8t.

Neither motor is gay... the only gay thing on either of them is the hitachi ECU on the 12v. as i saw Chaos said in a previous post... Hitachi ECU FTL.

my .02
-Ryan

Old 02-07-2008, 11:04 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: 1SIKA4

I understand were your coming from with that, but obviously anyone in their right mind would know that and as i said before the motor is not for high end because of these restrictions, 1 reason being valves per cylinder, so its not a GAY motor as stated with previous posters, VW 12vs are even making sweet numbers only because their modable and no one is doggin them which does prove my point of just because no "company" decided to make something for it people dont like it and it takes people like ME to defend it and have the willing to make a motor that CAN be modded have good power in the end. Regardless adding a supercharger thats made for 30vs the 12v would get close to the same HP out of it with no internals, its not gonna be a major difference atleast not a 100HP difference. So i still think its not superior its only superior when you have to spend more money on other things to get that superior number above a 12v.

lol now come on you got to understand were im coming from. I know the 12v isent all that but its STILL an Audi built motor it can handle just good enough power to be just good enough and thats the whole point im trying to come across...with everything this motor is still capible of 300HP witch is reasonable for a car that started out in the 90's with about 140WHP and 174 engine HP.

oh for sure. i dont think the motor is gay at all. for what it was in its day and for what it was intended for, its a great engine. you hardly have to repair them. and in 1996 modding was probly the last thing on audi's mind when they put it in the a4. it was a luxury car. but when it comes to modding the 12v is the last audi engine i would be looking at

Old 02-08-2008, 02:38 AM
1st Gear

lol yeh that is true but...at nights sometimes i do wish i had a 30v lol cause the things i go through with this motor trying to go over every obstacle is crazy!! but it can be rewarding

ORIGINAL: rsrbljan

IF you want a daily driver and reliability, get the 12v 2.8l. there are lots of them on these forums with 160k+miles. mine just rolled 188k. the Hitachi ECU blows *****, and there are no tuning options, nor is there any reason to put anything more than gas and oil in it.

The 30v motor makes more power than the 12v, and has chip options with "debatable" results for the money. You have the opportunity for a supercharger system that has been proven very reliable power, but you're at 5g's + for the system. Again, unless you are going supercharger, I wouldn't waste the money on an intake and exhaust.

If you have the need to tune and build, and the bank to do it right, skip the 2.8l all together and get the 1.8t.

Neither motor is gay... the only gay thing on either of them is the hitachi ECU on the 12v. as i saw Chaos said in a previous post... Hitachi ECU FTL.

my .02
-Ryan

About the intake and exhaust thing, just because its a 12v dosent mean intake and exhaust wont help. Everycar is different and some cars you add intake and it only gives you 1HP and others you get a crap load more it just all depends on how restrictive the old box was. I got mine when it had 72k miles on it, and now i have put on about 13k on it the Hitachi ECU is gay i dont know why just couldnt use Bosch or a chippable Hitachi but what can ya do...Its really not a car that you would want to mod but for me i think it would be a fun project to be the rare guy to do it. Its been a fun process and when its all said and done...that is IT! im keeping it but im also buying another audi which would just be a 1.8T lol I like the car but jesus christ but atleast when its all documented whitch im doing right now then that will make someone else who has the willing like me easier for them and so on...

but im done this is waring me out...:P

Old 02-08-2008, 07:44 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: rsrbljan

...there are no tuning options, nor is there any reason to put anything more than gas and oil in it.
ORIGINAL: 1SIKA4

...Its really not a car that you would want to mod

Old 02-08-2008, 10:52 AM
4th Gear

Since the original question was, "What is the difference between the two?", not "Why does the 12v suck *****?" I'm going to get back on track here, with some quick basic factoids:

Audi 12v 2.8 V6
2 valves per cylinder
SOHC
Un-moddable Hitachi ECU
172bhp/184btq

Audi 30v 2.8 V6
5 valves per cylinder
DOHC
Bosch ECU
190bhp/207btq

Old 02-08-2008, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: MrFlippant

Since the original question was, "What is the difference between the two?", not "Why does the 12v suck *****?" I'm going to get back on track here, with some quick basic factoids:
Quality answer to the original question.

If things stayed on track around here, I don't feel this forums would be 1/2 as much fun! ... or any forum really.

It'd be like googling a question. No personality

Much Forum Love
-Ryan

Old 07-21-2008, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Trey25

150hp in the 12v, 190hp in the 30v. Both very reliable but the 96-96 12v is getting up there in age. I've heard a few audi mechanics say that the 98 year A4 is the most reliable year. They're both gas guzzlers, 30v more so. If your thinking of upgrading power the options are limited to NOS and a supercharger for 30v.
dude, 12v 2.8l pushes 172hp

Old 07-22-2008, 01:43 AM
1st Gear

Sorry, wrong post.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

Just a tad late on that one Project...

Quick Reply: a4 2.8 differences between 12V & 30V