A4 motor swap - Page 2 - AudiForums.com

Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A4 > B5 Models
A4 motor swap >

A4 motor swap

Notices
B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A4 motor swap

Old 07-09-2012, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

I'd personally go with the 2.7t swap, because it's better than the v8 swap in every way. imo

Old 07-09-2012, 07:18 PM

minus the turbos requiring an engine pull every time you want to look at them

Old 07-10-2012, 03:35 AM
1st Gear

As much as I love a turbo car a V8 would just make more sense to me. The 2.7t would be really fun but it's hard to find a motor with low miles. I have found smashed S4's with minimal damage for $500-$2000 but I don't wanna deal with having a 2nd car in the way. I already found an S8 motor. It's a 2002 Audi S8 4.2l, don't know if it's 32 or 40 valve. Pretty sure it's 40v. Not 100% percent sure if it's the 1st gen or 2nds gen S8. When it comes to decision making I will call for more info.

What kind or... version of the tranny do I need. I see these 6 types.

Manual Transmission 1.8L Quattro (Code DWR) Code DWR
Manual Transmission 1.8L Quattro (Code DWR) Code ENP
Manual Transmission 1.8L Excluding Quattro Code DVX
Manual Transmission 1.8L Excluding Quattro Code EHV
Manual Transmission 2.8L Quattro (Code DWM)
Manual Transmission 2.8L Excluding Quattro (Code DVZ)

My car is a quattro so I am guessing I would need the quattro tranny but then I don't know if I need the DWR or ENP......

Old 07-10-2012, 03:37 AM
1st Gear

Also I am not looking for a motor I can heavily modify. I want to do something and leave it. I want it to be nice smooth and reliable. This is a car that will see the tarmac every day and snow in the winters.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:40 AM
Legal Moderator

threads like this amaze me. it seems like some noob is always coming up with an idea for a "motor swap", but nothing ever happens. id really like to see one of these actually happen. there are limitied v8 swaps in the b5 world, most of which are well documented. and by the way, it doesnt matter which tranny you get. any 01a or 01e (which you should really be looking into) will work. good luck with this. if your local to me, let me know

Old 07-10-2012, 03:44 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by Kraemer View Post
Also I am not looking for a motor I can heavily modify. I want to do something and leave it. I want it to be nice smooth and reliable. This is a car that will see the tarmac every day and snow in the winters.
here is 26 pages of incredibly valuable information for you Debating an s6 4.2L swap...

Old 07-10-2012, 04:36 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380 View Post
threads like this amaze me. it seems like some noob is always coming up with an idea for a "motor swap", but nothing ever happens. id really like to see one of these actually happen. there are limitied v8 swaps in the b5 world, most of which are well documented. and by the way, it doesnt matter which tranny you get. any 01a or 01e (which you should really be looking into) will work. good luck with this. if your local to me, let me know
Well I will be WELL funded. And your in St.Cloud MN? I'm in Maple Grove area. I may be a NOOOOB but I am serious and I want all the info I can get before I commit. I have friends that could help me with this otherwise I am talking to Imola Motorsports about it. If they wanna help and they don't want an arm and a leg (they probably will) I will have them do it. I will keep this updated as stuff happens but for any real progress it's gonna be awhile, like 30 days or more.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 AM

you know how much a shop is going to charge to do a motor swap? id like to venture to say upwards of 10k.

Redline, i just snagged a 2.7tt. I'm going on vacation until friday but when i get back I'm staring the tear down. Ill be making a picture ladened thread for all to see . I do notice lack of builds on this forum, if you take a peek over at motor geek people are swapping in anything their hearts desire to any car and making it happen, LS3 into an RS6, rear engine cars, full tube chassis, you name it they think about doing it with no hesitation. I would love to see more of that here.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Administrator

There is custom fabrication required for the 4.2 swap, such as motor mount relocators and a bell housing spacer to close the 1.5-2" gap between bellhousing and block, which also needs to incorporate a second starter mounting bolt hole. A lot of the remaining difficulty is wiring. You need to incorporate the V8's wiring harness and ECU into the A4's chassis harness. If you aren't 100% comfortable with a LOT of harness customization, repinning connectors, and creating new harnesses, have it done by a shop or just buy the S4 or a GT series turbo setup for your car.

I'd also finally like to see one of these happen. Except for JBJ who's been here awhile now, the only engine swap plans you ever see are from new guys. Most veterans know that running these cars with the engines the factory put in them gives you ample time to wrench, troubleshoot, and buy parts.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:37 AM

I'm pretty sure you can use the spacer the s4s use for the 01e, whatever the adaptor is to mate the v8 to a 5 speed, you need to shave the crank because they only came auto, custom every mount. Also all v8 had immob so you need to defeat it via 034 or just do standalone which is actually the easier way to go vs trying to bastardize a harness.

If i had a 1.8t i would be throwing money into that to make power because tis a good engine, but i have a shiity v6 that can't make power so the only option is an engine swap. plus if i told you what i go the engine for there would be an angry mob at my front door

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A4 motor swap

Advertising
Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.