B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A8 brake upgrade is on the car:)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:59 AM
Administrator
Default RE: A8 brake upgrade is on the car:)

You should go ahead and buy the brakes - once you have them sitting in front of you (took two days for me to get them) it'll fire you up to get bigger wheels so you can install them

Old 02-25-2008, 09:01 AM
5th Gear

hey bro, i hope you're gonna piece together the rear s4 brake bbk unless you wanna skip lunch for a couple of months. ecs has it for the kit close to a grand. i've been doing a little researching myself so here ya go, just get the caliper pin, pads and rotors separate. https://www.audiforums.com/m_718784/tm.htm

Old 02-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Honestly, given the built-in front brake bias of cars in general, I don't think I'll go BBK in the rear - it'd be a waste of money. When it's time though, I will go with aftermarket upgraded OEM-sized rotors and the same Hawk pads for sure though. Right now, the comparison between front and rear is awful lol. You'll have to meet up with me and try it out and see what you think of the setup though - it may push you into buying them I'm looking forward to a rainy day soon so I can see if this fixed my problem in the rain, where it felt like I had air in the lines - I think the pads were being floated off the rotors (which is more believable now that I found the inner pads to have separated from their backers on the brakes I removed). Hopefully the new gear plus the drilling will help evacuate water better and keep the brakes feeling normal in the wet.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Are your rears getting bad enough that you're willing to put on someone else's used rear brakes? Jeezus girl, get out the credit card and order some parts!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:04 AM
4th Gear

Did you upgrade to ss brake lines too?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Default Updated driving impressions after a hundred miles or so

These things rock You can scrub down from 75mph to 60mph in a blink of an eye (thank you - no ticket lol). I did a full-on stop last night from 40ish, and I don't think it took more than 2 seconds to stop - everything in my trunk went slamming forward into the back of my rear seat cushion. The pedal effort I used to need to slow the car down by 20mph or so in the past would be almost enough pedal effort now to invoke the ABS. To anyone who needs front brakes, and isn't in the price range (or necessity) of something from Wilwood, StopTech, or AP Racing, seriously look into this - it's well worth the moderate price increase over OEM-sized parts.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Administrator

No I didn't, mainly because I want to do SS lines at all four corners, instead of bleeding the brakes twice. I'll wait until I get replacement parts for the rear setup and order the SS lines then, and will install them all at the same time. I knew I was going to be pressed for time to get the fronts on the car (I have a LOT going on right now) so I figured I'd wait until it was rear brake time and do it then, when I have more time.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Administrator

BTW, the Z is gone - it was picked up and paid for yesterday, so I have my garage back. I'm going air compressor shopping hopefully this week, so when it's time for your clutch (or whatever else), I will have the air tools for it, plus the garage space.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:12 AM
5th Gear

jeremy, you have no idea how broke i am lol. i'm still not finished buying parts for my computer yet, well it's working but not how i want it to. remember, i don't have any left after paying for gas with my income lol. grats on finally selling the z, i bet you miss it.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Well in any event, when it's time, you'll want them, and when it's clutch time, the tools and space will be available at my house - you're welcome to use the garage and tools and I'll of course jump in and work on it with ya. I have to source some outer CV joint boot kits (I believe Advance can get them in a day or so) - I found both my outer CV boots to be ripped when I did the brakes on Saturday. One thing always leads to another...

Quick Reply: A8 brake upgrade is on the car:)