B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Aftermarket HU with harness install, need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

Heres the update, i got everything wired together and bought x2 Y splitters for the rcas.

I got power on the radio and the antenna works great but i only got sound in the back and its really deep like i have no treble at all. and even with the sound to max i cant almost hear anything. I tried to play with the splitters and switch them on the deck with no success.

Ill show you a pic how everything is wired atm:

On the instructions they told me to not use the speaker wires since i have 4 rcas, is it my problem? The only wire i got from the HU harness connected is the ground, the yellow, the red one and the blue/white for the remote turn on. Am i missing some wires theres?

The front is not working at all and the rear is playing so deep lol.

I know the guy had subwoofers there before and i still got the plugs near my radio, could it be making a conflict somewhere?

Thanks

Lewis

Old 11-13-2012, 09:22 AM
1st Gear

I know i got stamped Bose system on my doors but could it be that i have the non-bose or something and i need to connect those gray/green/white wires from the hu to have sound in the front?

It almost sound like my amp in the back is fried or something isnt connected right. The sound isnt clear at all and it plays like a loud sub heh.

Its like the Headunit ( or the amp?) doesnt send any sound to the front speakers and only send a little signal to the back.

Last edited by Lewis666; 11-13-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 AM
1st Gear

Heres a pic of the wires i got in the trunk if that can help you. Pretty messed up heh.

Theres is a plug in the trunk that looks like its connected to the amp and its not connected to anything else, where does that plug go? maybe my amp is not powered since he had an aftermarket amp with subs
The plug that i circled in red is connected to nothing and it looks like it go the rear amp on the left upper side of the trunk, its the amp right?

lewis

Last edited by Lewis666; 11-13-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:14 AM
1st Gear

I was under the assumption that you had the Bose system and were upgrading from that to an aftermarket deck. Well that was until you started to show pictures of another aftermarket system removed. I have no idea what the previous owner did so unless you can figure out what those extra wires are by tracing back to the source, I won't be of any help.

What I would recommend is hooking up the speaker level wires from this
to this
and see how that goes. Who knows how this guy had it hooked up. Also if you do indeed have the Bose system, the amp will be located under the rear deck on the drivers side which looks something like this

If you don't have anything that looks like this then it was removed when the previous owner installed all his stuff. If you can't figure out what he did then you will have to rewire it all. Good luck.

Doug

Old 11-14-2012, 05:29 AM
1st Gear

Alright ill try to wire the speaker wires that was my next step.

I know he had 2 subs and an aftermarket amp in the back. Im just wondering the connector in my last picture is OEM and it should go somewhere, it has a blue wire attached to it and its not connected anywhere. He had the amp back there and this was connected to it prolly. even if i have the non-bose or something, it should be connected somewhere, where exactly is located the rear amp? can you show me a picture because the rear deck means nothing to me lol, sorry my first language is french and im doing my best heh.

I know what most of the wires are, if you look in the first picture of the trunk where the wires are, the big brown one goes to the battery, that was prolly his main power for the amp, theres two rca connectors , that was for the sub (i can see them behind my deck on the front), the only wiring that i dont know where it go is the last one, and its coming from the speaker in the trunk(like i showed u circled in red in my last picture in my last post. This and the other little blue wire that is not connected to anything, thats the 2 wires i dont know what they do. The OEM plug should go somewhere its coming from the speaker so that would explain why i only got a little sound on the back.

Ill try to wire the speaker wires and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the help

Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 AM
1st Gear

Update: i plugged the speaker wires (gray/white) for the front with the HU harness and the fronts are working perfectly, now i just need to find what the previous owner did with the back lol. Ah well... at least i got some sound now xD