B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Aftermarket Radio Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:42 AM
1st Gear
Default Aftermarket Radio Install Help

I purchased an aftermarket CD player for my '99 A4. When I plug in the wiring harness only the front speakers work? I have the standard Audi Concert system without the stock amplifier. I searched the web and these forums for answers and the only thing I could find were posts where people just ran speaker wire back to the rear speakers. Is this the only way? I can do that but would perfer not to take off all the interior pieces to run the wires. I hoped it would be a simple plug-n-play like all the other vehicles I have done. See the link below for the kit I purchased. Any and all help would be very helpful. TIA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=350134316483

Old 12-17-2008, 11:47 AM
4th Gear

yea, the rear speakers are powered so u need another adapter to power the rear amp to use the rear speakers

Old 12-17-2008, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jc61990
yea, the rear speakers are powered so u need another adapter to power the rear amp to use the rear speakers
Thanks for the quick reply!

Do you know what adapter or should I just run the rear speaker wires from the CD player back to the rear speakers? Right now I am just trying to do an easy install with all the stock speakers until I can replace them and install an aftermarket amp for the highs and a 10" sub or two with a mono amp.

P.S.

Know anywhere to get a new plastic trim bezel for the radio? I cracked mine in a couple places. For the moment I am going to tap into my hillbilly ways and use a hot glue gun and a little super glue. At least I'm not "too hillbilly" and using duct tape..lol. All I can find on Flea-Bay is Woodgrain and mine is just plain black with nothing else in the car being woodgrain so it would look kind of stupid. Are there any aftermerket companies who make them? I would like to do carbon fiber or at least carbon fiber look.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:07 PM
4th Gear

i got my cable from a local audio shop.. and the bezel i got off ebay..

Old 12-27-2008, 10:21 PM
1st Gear

Your new player has its own built-in amp for each set of speakers. Therefore you will need to cut the wires in the trunk to the rear speakers, bypassing the little amp and reconnecting them back to the speakers.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:28 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by hwong
Your new player has its own built-in amp for each set of speakers. Therefore you will need to cut the wires in the trunk to the rear speakers, bypassing the little amp and reconnecting them back to the speakers.
Yea don't do that... Do it the right way like JC said... if you cut it you will not be giving the rear speakers the power they need.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

Okay so I got some pics of the wring harness and the stock stereo wiring. Maybe someone could help shed some light for me as to what I am missing or what I need to do. Thanks in advance.

THE KIT I GOT OFF EBAY:

Name:  SamsungInstinct032.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  93.6 KB

THE TWO FACTORY CONNECTORS THAT PLUG IN AND POWER UP THE RADIO AND PLAY SOUND THROUGH FRONT SPEAKERS:

Name:  SamsungInstinct028.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  63.9 KB

WHAT I ASSUME IS THE FACTORY CONNECTOR TO THE REAR SPEAKERS??:

Name:  SamsungInstinct030.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  SamsungInstinct031.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  48.0 KB

Old 12-30-2008, 09:46 PM
4th Gear

nope rear speakers is black, and has a lot of connectors on it

Old 12-30-2008, 09:58 PM
1st Gear

if your rear speakers are powered by an amp then i think you need this kit

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207017...g-Harness.html

where you connect the plugs from the red harness to your aftermarket receiver for the front and rear speakers. its hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like you have the black wiring harness but not the red one.

id also recommend just going to circuit city or best buy and asking them if they have what you need and then if they give you the wrong thing you should be able to return it, though id ask about the return policy first

Old 12-30-2008, 10:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jc61990
nope rear speakers is black, and has a lot of connectors on it

Okay, I see the one you are talking about. Thanks. What is the red one for? Just curious?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radio Install Help