B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Air bag light

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:46 AM
1st Gear
Default Air bag light

My local dealer wants $114 for try and turn off the light. He says if that doesn't work they will have to change the module. If I change the module with a used one will that turn it off?

Old 02-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Tech Guru
Default RE: Air bag light

i am in the same boat..... i have been told vag-com will turn it off...... so if you can live with the light another week or so when i get my vag com i will try and fix it and let you know

or i might be doing a new modual as well

have you checked all your connections?

Old 02-27-2008, 01:43 PM

you cant turn off the light because there is a problem and it has to be fixed, as its not a legal requirement in the K we pull the bulb for what its worth, ypu could have it scanned for fault codes

Old 02-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Guru

would i be looking for a bank code or what?

i have never used vag com so i am newb to that

Old 02-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Administrator

There's a module in Vag that has to do with safety and/or security I believe and I think you'll find it there. In any event if you run a full scan (think that's how it was done on my car), the codes will come up and tell you what the fault is. Most of the time it seems to be the driver's side bag, and it's caused by a loose connection under the seat. If that's the case, put a zip tie around the yellow connector to the inboard side of the seat, and pull it as tight as you can (they tend to pull apart slightly when the seat gets moved a lot, and it's enough to trip the light). When you tie it off though, be very careful as there are wires coming off the back of the connector that you could pinch or damage. These pics are of the underside of my seat when I fixed mine - this is as if you were sitting on the pedals, looking back under the front of the seat:

Old 02-27-2008, 06:09 PM
1st Gear

Did the light just turn off when you put the zip tie on that plug, or did you have to unplug the battery or anything like that??

Old 02-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Administrator

No it won't shut off by itself, and cycling the battery won't do it either. As techbod said, you have to fix the fault before you can clear the light. On many of our cars, doing what I posted about will fix the fault, but you still have to use VagCom to clear the light.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

I had it scanned when I bought the car and it was the passenger side air bag. I replaced it with a used one and need the light turned off. Sorry I was not 100% clear with what I was asking. Is there any way or someone that can turn it off for cheaper than 114 from the dealer?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Yep, go to this site:

http://vag-tool.kicks-***.net/default.aspx

See if someone local to you has Vag, and contact them. See if they'll turn it off for you. Better yet, deal with the light for a little while, and order the Vag interface cable on eBay. Download the free version of the software from www.ross-tech.com and then you'll have it yourself for anytime you need it.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:28 PM

dude, 65% of all B5 owners have their airbag light on...just live with it...I have for a year....

if you truly have fixed the problem then you can use a vag to reset the light, but if the problem hasn't been fixed than the light will come right back on

airbags have a shelf life of about 10 years i believe (or maybe that's how long they are backed by audi?)

I am pretty sure that when the airbag light is on, the airbags will not deploy, which under certain circumstances is good and some can be fatal

I for one would rather smack my face on the steering wheel than have to buy two new seats a steering wheel cover and a dashboard insert....

gl gettin the light off!

Quick Reply: Air bag light