B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Air con comes on and off?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Air con comes on and off?!?

Ever since I bought my car I've had no air con and the fan works when it wants to so I got it regassed yesterday and surely enough it worked... Only problem is 20 minutes later it turned off and now when i can get it to come back on the air is cold but the fan will only blow for a couple minutes then stop.... Anybody know what could be causing this? I've been told the fan speed resistor? Thanks to anyone who can help! Would mean a lot

Old 02-16-2014, 11:38 PM
2nd Gear

can't help you if you don't give at least the bare minimum information on your B5.

year, engine code, 1.8T or 2.8?

Do you have a vag-com? if not, get it scanned at your local advanced auto or auto zone.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:28 AM
1st Gear

****, my bad! its a 1999 model 1.8t with the AJL motor... It does have a vag-com but its saying pressure switch.. meanwhile everyone else is saying its the fan speed regulator or something ... so puzzled, ive got a guy ordering parts for it but not even sure if thats the real problem... strange how i got someone to check it out and they didnt even bother checking the gas or re-gassing it... i did that myself and now it blows cold air but it shuts off after a couple minutes running and it makes a dying sound when it decides to stop working, it starts off a fast noise then it gets slower and as it gets slower the pressure of the air blowing gets even lower till the noise stops and then no more air is blowing through the vents... this fast to low change happens in like 20 seconds after the noise starts.... not sure if that helps... i posted the post in a rush earlier from my phone and clearly wasnt thinking! Thanks if you have any idea what my strange fan is doing.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:52 AM
1st Gear

When I had a problem with my air con not working, I didn't have a vag-com but the climate control has a diagnostic feature which I used and was also spitting out the error high pressure switch. I was going to replace the high pressure switch (which is situated behind the headlight) but found that one of the air con lines had been punctured underneath the car (running over a driveway or something). So because of the puncture, the system held no pressure but was spitting out the pressure that the high pressure switch was triggered and stopping the system from working. So my point being that the high pressure switch error might signify something else besides high pressure in the system.