B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Am I missing something in this TB kit??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 04:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Am I missing something in this TB kit??

I just got my ultimate tb kit from ecs with the cam locking tool. They forgot to ship the accessory belt but I already called to have it shipped over. Now I'm looking at all the parts and comparing them to the set in this (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng35.shtml) audiworld tech article, and I seem to be missing what the author refers to as the tensioner in this pic below:

I think it may be a dampner...should I be replacing this as well?? I did, however, recieve everything shown in the ecs kit here:

except for the accessory drive belt, of course.
ALSO, anyone got any tips for pulling off the front bumper?? I tried pulling back and down but the passenger side just won't budge. I got the drivers side of very easily and quickly but spent over 2 hours trying to get of the pass side. I can see that its not quite of the hooks yet, but i can't get it to push back further enough, i think it may be catching on the shock. I'm going to try and go at it with a screw driver and pry it of the hooks...

Old 05-21-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Am I missing something in this TB kit??

you are looking at a 1.8t in that link. The parts are different. You should of ordered a complete kit and it sounds like you didnt

Old 05-21-2008, 10:04 PM
1st Gear

I have finished tearing the lock carrier off and I have realized that I do NOT have that part I originally asked about; the dampner (sso that should not be an issue). I realized that it was a 1.8T in the write up, I didn't however know that the the two engines had different set ups wrt the timing belts. Also, I am curious as to why you suggest I didn't order a complete kit. I ordered the ECS kit [ES#7442] in the pic above (the 2nd pic) and received every part except the accessory drive belt, which is now on its way. What else might be missing for this set up? I have a thermostat, timing belt, cam locking tool, water pump, idler roller and tensioner rolller, and even order some additional cam seals.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm make believe

since you said you didnt have a tensioner, that is a key part of the change. Now you say you have everything. Try using write ups for your car when comparing parts

Old 05-21-2008, 11:36 PM
1st Gear

I have everything displayed in the image with the white background., as I initially mentioned right above the image itself. What I do not have, is the 2nd item (below the belt, immediately below the yellow word "tensioner", and directly above the 3rd item listed in red as a pulley, in the first, smaller image, taken from the 1.8T write up. On ecs, I believe this is listed as a 3 whole dampner). Do I need this for my 2.8 30v?
i tried to find an exact write up but could only find the 1.8t, the 2.7 a6, and a 2.8 v6 from a 1993 audi 90.
In any case, thanks for your help. this is my first formidable DIY and I know it is critical so I want to ensure everything is right.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:01 PM
1st Gear

I hate to beg or bump, so I am apologizing before I get heckled, but I am really unsure and desperate for clarification! Can anyone clarify for me whether I should be replacing the hydraulic tensioner dampner or if its just okay to replace all of the parts in the ecs kit shown above? The spring loaded "tensioner" in the pic above (with the ring on it) is not part of the kit, but it IS part of the timing belt tensioner apparatus on the car...I basically, just want to know if the major tensioner that was a 'recall' issue for the audi's and causes a lot of the faulty timing issues, is the spring loaded one with the ring in the first image, or if its the other tensioner/pulley included in the ecs kit?? (If I just install the ecs kit, will that be good enough?)