B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Another mixed results day

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Administrator
Default Another mixed results day

So Hiwords and I (along with another friend) were working on cars today. We fixed a broken valve cover stud on Hiwords' car, and did some work on mine as well. The downside first - tried doing the Seafoam intake treatment today, and apparently I've got a vacuum leak significant enough that the engine is incapable of drawing the Seafoam through the tube and into the engine. We used the proper vacuum hose, and fed it the right way, sealed around the hose and everything, but no luck - it'd draw about five inches up the tube and that was it. As a sidenote, a quick stab on the gas would produce a purging sound down by the air intake (down in the lower front passenger side of the bay) similar to a purging DV, and I suspect that's at least somewhat indicative of my problem. Any ideas on potential or likely leaks in that area of the car?

The upside was that I took the time to paint my calipers front and rear today. I only took one pic so far, but I'll get others when I wash the car. It came out very well and really sets off the A8 brakes (kind of a mini-StopTech look actually) - I'm happy with them.

Any takers on what might be leaking to create that purge sound?

Here's how the calipers came out:

Old 04-06-2008, 01:57 AM
Tech Guru
Default RE: Another mixed results day

i didn't paint the front carriers as they are nice and shinny silver..... kind of sets off the red

Old 04-06-2008, 02:51 AM

i think it looks really nice! im not usually a big fan of painting calipers... what kind of paint did you use? did you use any primor?

Old 04-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Administrator

I just used DupliColor Engine Enamel (500 degree heat rating) from Advance Auto Parts. No primer either - just sprayed the calipers down with brake cleaner, scrubbed them with a stiff bristle brush, and then brushed the paint on. I sprayed it into the cap from the paint can and used a 1" foam brush from Lowe's to apply it. It was 3-4 coats per caliper.

TurboKraut - I think I saw pics of yours (or someone else's) recently with the carrier left as-is and that did look good.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:36 AM
1st Gear

Why the engine paint instead of caliper paint?

oan: did you finish your rear wheel bearing?

Old 04-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Administrator

I've always used the engine enamel on my cars when I painted calipers (hell, I don't know if specific caliper paint was on the shelves when I did my first set lol), but I never had any issues with the engine enamel in the past, so I stuck with it.

Haven't finished the bearing job off yet - I have to get in touch with my buddy who has the press, and arrange the time. I've had some dramatic things going on in my family life, and that has consumed the majority of my attention. Very soon though, the bearing job will be done.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Tech Guru

yea that was mine

Name:  IMG_0776.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  12.8 KB

Old 04-06-2008, 11:48 AM

Hey that looks great, how about a pic with the wheel on?

Old 04-06-2008, 12:12 PM

hmm, before i do any brake up grades.. im going to have to figure out what will fit my new set of HRE's.... NOT!

looks good though. id be interested in doing the upgrade. do you have to do anything wtih wheel bearings to do the swap? or is it just calipers and rotors?

Old 04-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Administrator

For the fronts, it's not even calipers - you reuse your calipers and only change the rotors and the carriers. The carriers are the part that bolt to the hub and serve as a mount for the calipers. In TurboKraut's pic, the red part is the caliper, and the silver part is the carrier. Piece of cake upgrade. Get some aftermarket pads too, and you'll love the difference.

Quick Reply: Another mixed results day