B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Any idea where/what this leaking is coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 03:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Any idea where/what this leaking is coming from?

Im stumped, in the back of my engine bay where all the hoses are and all that good stuff is, i noticed some oil, could be gas? Not sure, i replaced the majority of the hoses/vavles back there that are prone to cracking/that looked bad. I inspect me engine bay once a week for oil leaks and i noticed this a month ago and i can't see a obvious place where it coming from. I am hoping maybe this is a common issue or someones seen this before? I took a few pics hopefully they help. Thanks in advance.

Edit: also when i came back from doing errands i popped my hood and i put my ear near the back of the engine where the hoses are and could hear like that faint fizzing noise,For example when there's a lot of pressure and fluid/air is trying to escape through a small hole is makes that distinct noise (i hope you know what im talking about), but i couldn't find where it was coming from (maybe its normal?) you cant hear it unless you put your ear near that area.

Last edited by DanaB6; 07-30-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

The only two things I can think of are the valve cover gasket or injector weep. I've actually got a similar build up of gunk myself and haven't diagnosed it yet.

You should thoroughly clean that area and see if you can better identify where it is coming from.

You could also have a small vacuum leak. Have you performed a boost leak test?

Old 07-30-2012, 04:54 PM
1st Gear

Well, i know i have a vacuum leak, i have a tester but i cant find a compressor, the only compressor i have access too is the shop compressor and that runs @ 160psi and i cant touch the adjuster, so im SOL finding a compressor that i can use @ 20 psi. About the injector weep, is there is symptoms of a leak?

Old 07-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

My understanding is that it is more common for the upper seals to leak (where the injectors meet the fuel rail.) The symptom would be a build up of gunk in that area.

Like I said, you should clean that area as much as possible to try and see where the leak is coming from.

My 97's breather and vacuum set up is a little different than yours...but check the plastic elbows that come off the back of the intake manifold and VC for cracks. Those are prone to failure. It could also be the vacuum line going to the FPR.