B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Any idea why my oil temp gauge barely moves?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 07:53 PM
2nd Gear
Default Any idea why my oil temp gauge barely moves?

My oil temp gauge always rises just a tiny bit (and always has). The car has never over-heated and the temp gauge has never gone past half way.

Could the oil temp sensor be "crippled", or is the oil actually running that cool?

Thanks

Old 05-17-2015, 11:18 AM
2nd Gear

bump.......

Old 05-20-2015, 01:30 AM
1st Gear

Either the oil sensor or the sensor to tell you that the oil sensor is failing (yes they have this lol)

Old 05-20-2015, 02:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy
Could the oil temp sensor be "crippled", or is the oil actually running that cool?
If your coolant temp is normal, then the oil temp probably is too. This is because the "oil cooler" transfers heat from the coolant to warm the oil up faster, then if the oil gets hotter than the coolant, transfers heat to the coolant, and on to the radiator. The sender, connector(s), or wiring are probably the issue.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:52 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by george1546
Either the oil sensor or the sensor to tell you that the oil sensor is failing (yes they have this lol)
That's very interesting. Thank you.

I don't think that's the issue though, because it still rises. Just not very high.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the sensors would have to be "crippled" for that to happen.

Originally Posted by turbo510
If your coolant temp is normal, then the oil temp probably is too. This is because the "oil cooler" transfers heat from the coolant to warm the oil up faster, then if the oil gets hotter than the coolant, transfers heat to the coolant, and on to the radiator. The sender, connector(s), or wiring are probably the issue.
This is what I was thinking. I've been chalking it up to terrific efficiency, since the car always runs at the absolute perfect temp. I also use full synthetic Mobil one 5w20 (in this FL. heat), so I know I have superior protection - which I check everytime I detail the car - which is at least once a week and I haven'tr had a burning smell yet

I think I'll wait until the gauge stops working completely to replace sensors.

Sound like a good, or bad idea?

Old 05-21-2015, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy
This is what I was thinking. I've been chalking it up to terrific efficiency, since the car always runs at the absolute perfect temp.
Keep in mind that the coolant temp "gauge" really isn't one. All A4's have their temp needles pointing straight up after initial warmup, unless something causes the coolant to get past the OK range. Your coolant temp actually can change all over that OK range, and the needle won't move. The problem with you oil temp gauge, which really is a temp gauge, probably is the sensor. They contain a variable resistor, and it probably just isn't correct anymore.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

A friend of mine had an issue like yours, his needle at times will barely rise or not at all, it turned out to be one of the sensors, maybe get them checked and see if they are working fine. The issue of waiting is if your temp is showing very low temperatures, they can actually be a lot higher than what the gauge is showing as the sensor is not functioning as intended (your temps are most likely normal) its just the security knowing they are and seeing that in the gauge.

Last edited by george1546; 05-21-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:39 AM
2nd Gear

There is some excellent information and advice in this thread.......and I already know quite a bit about my car.

I have a temp sensor tester. I might use that to check the one (or two?) sensor(s).....or I may just say "**** it" and buy a new one, just to be safe (it couldn't hurt, right?).

Thanks again guys!'You're definitely appreciated.

Last edited by A4TurboGuy; 05-22-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:20 AM

Another culprit could be the instrument cluster itself.
In VAG-COM you can check the oil temperature through the Cluster module, and compare that value with what the cluster's needle shows.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:57 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
Another culprit could be the instrument cluster itself.
In VAG-COM you can check the oil temperature through the Cluster module, and compare that value with what the cluster's needle shows.

Good to know.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Any idea why my oil temp gauge barely moves?