B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Anyone ever had ABS code 65535 fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 02:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Anyone ever had ABS code 65535 fixed?

Hey guys, I have the dreaded Solid ABS and blinking "Brake" lights. Seems it's a very common problem for the ABS unit to go bad, so I sent it to get repaired. Not sure what they did to the unit (if anything) but it had the same code before and after, code 65535, which corresponds to an internal memory error. Ross Tech says this may be a ground/ power supply issue to the abs module or an irreparable module. Has anybody found a fix for this without replacing the module? I don't want to send it in to another company and pay $35 just to have it bench tested and for them to tell me code 65535 can't be repaired when I can get a used one for $75. Thanks guys!

Old 10-23-2013, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

I don't have time to find it right now, but somewhere out there (possibly not on these forums, I can't remember) there's a post describing how to test the pins on the ABS connector with a meter to see if the voltage is good.

Don't all the companies that repair the modules guarantee their work? If the voltage is good then I'd demand that they fix it for free, including shipping. The place I did mine at had some language on their website that if the returned module still doesn't work (especially considering that they claim to test it), they'll happily send you another to try since they have a bunch lying around anyway. Almost makes you wonder if they send you back your own module in the first place.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

The company that tried to fix mine (Autoelectronicsrepairivan on Ebay) just refunded my money when i asked for a refund or for them to fix it. Receipt just said "ABS unit rebuilt lifetime warranty" and that it was 55 dollars, but didn't say anything about bench testing or anything. Really no communication from the seller through the whole process. I'll try and find how to test the pins for the abs.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

Ha, interesting that they refunded it so quickly and without a hassle. I used a different one on ebay: bba-remaninc. They claimed to do testing (in the paperwork that came back with the fixed ABS) and also have a lifetime guarantee. It may have been a different ebay seller that made the claim about providing a different replacement unit if necessary.

Ok I found the page that says which pin to test (assuming the same car as me, if not go through their "wizard" to match your ABS):

ModuleMaster | Bosch 5.3 Wizard

I was considering using them before I ended up going with ebay. Modulemasters charges a lot more but they also claim an amazing amount of quality assurance, just read their web pages. Not sure where you can get a $75 replacement, but I assume you mean used, so consider that it might have problems or be on the brink of failure itself.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:59 AM
1st Gear

This post also talks about pin testing and says that the Bentley book has a lot of information on that:

ABS light on, brake light flashing, ESP light on - FIXED!!! - So, I've seen.........(long, sorry) - AudiWorld Forums

I don't have the Bentley myself.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:32 PM
1st Gear

Thanks chicken! I'll test for continuity and make sure the unit has good +12 and ground. It's looking like a new unit at this point though.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

Have you reset it using VCDS paid version?

Old 10-27-2013, 01:04 PM
1st Gear

You can reset it with VCDS lite, which i have done. Code comes back as soon as i drive it. Also under engine error codes i'm getting code for a rough road/ engine torque signal from abs.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear

ABS modules used on ebay aren't that expensive IF you can find one that has the same part number for your vehicle. I've replace a few ABS and AIRBAG modules, just need to make sure you set them up correctly with correct values for your car with VAG before installing. And since you have it out already.....

And of course, only buy from a trusted seller....

If your car is an automatic, it may be the torque converter and NOT the module throwing the rough road/engine torque codes which would also trigger the ABS light to behave as yours does.

Someone also once mentioned it could be the clutch pedal switch on a manual trans....but can't verify that...

Here's another thread I found...
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...re-Aggravation

Last edited by markymarc; 11-02-2013 at 02:25 PM.