B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

anyone good with sound systems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:18 PM
1st Gear
Default anyone good with sound systems?

aight wassup been a while since i posted on here, and yes i looked thru the search for an answer to this ?

ok i have a aftermarket head unit already installed with the cheap plastic mount for it so it looks flush. The other day i was driving around turned my system down to answer the phone, after i was done i turned the radio back up, and i had no bass!! i have a 12" apline type S hooked upto a nice diggy amp, proff installed it, i tested to see if it was any fuses on the amp, and they all good. i even tested to see if the sub just took a **** by hooking up my bro's to it, and still nothing.
when i turn my car on, i get the power light on the amp. but then it fades away. a buddy said its the remote wire that goes to the head unit, but the problem im facing is that i cant get the new head unit out, is there a tool to remove these? i dont wanna **** up my dash area to get out it. so if anyone knows if there is either a tool or something im missing to get it out to verify the remote wire is connected correctly.
thanks mates!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:25 PM
5th Gear

so um, wut headunit do you have? there's millions of aftermarket headunits and with many different ways to remove them. a pic of the headunit will help too. put a meter on the remote wire. when you said you hook up your subs to your bro's system and still nothing. did you use your amp or his?

Old 09-07-2008, 07:53 PM

I'm guessing it is the ground... Have you made sure all connections on the amp are tight? If you have follow the ground wire from the amp to where it is grounded and make sure that connection is clean

Old 09-07-2008, 07:55 PM
1st Gear

it was my amp.

and i dont think its the ground, b/c when i first start my car up it powers on, so if there was no ground the amp wouldnt power on right?
for the circuit to be complete power and ground is needed is what i know.

thats why i was saying the remote wire.
dont have a meter on me. do have one at work though.
i will take a pic and post here in a second.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:00 PM

No, that is the description of a weak ground. If it was prof installed remote should be soldered on head unit side. Ground could be loose or rusty...either way worth a check and should be right in trunk

Old 09-07-2008, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

aight ill go take a look
here is a picture of the head unit.

ok lol dont know how to add pics to post.

gonna take a look at ground though.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Site Moderator

+1 for weak ground. Dealt with the same stuff a while back - amp turns on but after the first few bass hits, no more bass and amp went into safe mode. Sometimes it would go straight to safe. Relocated the ground and havent had a problem since.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 09-07-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

aight the ground looks good....
power looks good, i reseated the wires back on the amp and same thing.

when i turn on stereo, the amps blue light comes on then dims away.....

wtf!!!

should i try to find a new ground?
i have pics but how do i add them to a post?
or should i just load them to photobucket or something.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Site Moderator

yeah, photobucket.

Where exactly is the ground wire grounded to? Get a pic of that.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:29 PM
1st Gear

lol ok it might be the ground.

i found where its at. i have the amp mounted to the back on my left back seat, and the ground goes along the back of the chair into the frame below and i can bearly see where its connected, i tryed messing with the cable looking and found i can move it easily. but how do i get to it... its like i am gonna have to take the rear seat out??. or can i skip that somehow, and another thing which makes me think thats it, before when i turned my stereo on the blue power light on my amp would come on briefly like i said, sinced i moved that wire it does not. :P
so any tips on how to get to that???
with the back left seat folded down its still hard to even get my finger tips on.

Quick Reply: anyone good with sound systems?