B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Anyone have these cams?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 02:53 PM

I also turned EVERY bolt and nut on this car myself. Didn't take it to anyone except the exaust

Old 10-19-2009, 03:47 PM

I would upgrade the suspension (coilovers?) and brakes (A8 big brake kit?) before doing too much more engine work.

Yes you do make more power than most of us. But asking a question about cams without listing engine mods makes it hard for people to give solid responses without speculating.

I was going to flame you for saying that your car is close to Mike's, lol, but its closer than mine so I'll leave that to him.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan
I would upgrade the suspension (coilovers?) and brakes (A8 big brake kit?) before doing too much more engine work.

Yes you do make more power than most of us. But asking a question about cams without listing engine mods makes it hard for people to give solid responses without speculating.

I was going to flame you for saying that your car is close to Mike's, lol, but its closer than mine so I'll leave that to him.
thats why i asked who had them, not a hypothisis of what their going to do. i know more about cars than most here

Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM

You were basically asking, "who has these cams? and will they help with my setup?"

This is an open forum so you are going to have a bunch a people offer advice even though you were looking for advice only from "those who have these."

The second question requires one to know what type of setup you are running, which you neglected, hence the speculation.

In any case, critisizing someone becuase your car is faster or because you have an above average knowledge of cars will not win you any friends.

BTW, I like that sig quote.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:26 PM

ok then, with everything fixed and speculation out of the way, you guys now know what I'm running. Let's open it then. I'm curious to know what people think then........... I was hoping that someone would shed some personal expirence with these cams. And because I have an above average knowledge, then people should maybe listen to what I have to say more often than in the past here? Just maybe I do know what I'm talking about. I was always challenged by some idiot.

I figured the sig goes with the setup

Last edited by pimphell; 10-19-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:04 PM
2nd Gear

I don't know if this would help you out, but in the middle of this thread is scale of 2 different sets of catcams.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...hlight=cat+cam
hopefully this helps you.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by pimphell
I was always challenged by some idiot.
Not sure if you're aiming this at me or just making a general statement about past experiences, but I can assure you I'm no idiot either. That being said, I reread my post and looking back it came off differently than I intended and I can see where you'd take it that I was trying to slam you - I was not. Sorry for muddying the waters there. And of course your car is faster - mine is a 30v. It's not a whose-dick-is-bigger contest right?

With the way most members list mods in their sig, both Ghost and I assumed you were mainly stock. Given that your engine is built then yeah cams do make sense. My take on cams is that whichever you select depends on how you use the car. For a car like Mike's, basically a full-on drag car, big lift and wide duration make sense since he is gonna be full-throttle most of the time. How do you use your car? Is it also for drag, or mainly for street performance fun? If it's not fully intended as a drag car and has to pass emissions, then duration between stock and race and a moderate lift would make more sense. Not too much overlap either or you risk failing smog.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Looking at your mods and the specs of those cams, they'd probably be worth the money and labor. Duration isn't crazy enough to give you much lope at idle and they should still pull smoothly. I'd imagine your turbo, running full-bore, would make even more power with a more radical grind, but then it comes back to driveability and emissions, etc. Those should free up some good power without a lot of sacrifice though.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Not sure if you're aiming this at me or just making a general statement about past experiences, but I can assure you I'm no idiot either. That being said, I reread my post and looking back it came off differently than I intended and I can see where you'd take it that I was trying to slam you - I was not. Sorry for muddying the waters there. And of course your car is faster - mine is a 30v. It's not a whose-dick-is-bigger contest right? .
^Right. I like Audi's, as you can see. Just you kinda opened up some bad past expirences posting in this fourm.

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
With the way most members list mods in their sig, both Ghost and I assumed you were mainly stock. Given that your engine is built then yeah cams do make sense. My take on cams is that whichever you select depends on how you use the car. For a car like Mike's, basically a full-on drag car, big lift and wide duration make sense since he is gonna be full-throttle most of the time. How do you use your car? Is it also for drag, or mainly for street performance fun? If it's not fully intended as a drag car and has to pass emissions, then duration between stock and race and a moderate lift would make more sense. Not too much overlap either or you risk failing smog.

My bad for that with the allowing of the assuming to happen. I should have posted mods first. My car is used for street/strip/soon to be SCCA ready. I do not need to worry about emissions for now, as you can tell, no cat or egr. I think if I was going to do a full drag car like mike I would gut the interior. It is a daily driver

Old 10-19-2009, 08:44 PM

I think judging by the specs of the cams I'm going to purchase them. I will definatly let you guys know the first hand experience of that grind on my setup. If you guys ever have any questions for me feel free to ask.

Quick Reply: Anyone have these cams?