B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi 2.8Q won't start :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 02:06 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi 2.8Q won't start :(

I realize there are tons of other "oh my car won't start posts" but I thought I'd just make my own for convenience. Anyways.. I have a 2.8Q and it cranks but won't start. It has been sitting in the garage for a couple months and didn't have a chance to start it during that time. During that time however, I replaced the timing belt, steering rack, and flex pipes. I've tried diagnosing the problem myself and this is what I've done so far:
1.) Pulled sparkplug from cylinder #4 and confirmed there was spark.
2.) Pulled hose going to passenger side fuel rail and confirmed that fuel was being sent.
3.) Fully charged battery.
I can't really think of anything else to look for that wouldn't get the car to start. I've read somewhere about resetting the throttle body, would that be helpful to me?
I don't have a VAG-com yet so, sorry about that.
Any ideas, suggestions, comments etc would be greatly appreciated.
Please take mercy on this Audi n00b.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm make believe

Check your dp to manifold connections. A crank sensor wire can get pinched in there and short out causing the car no to start. Free it, cut out the bad and fix the wire and you should be good.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cincyTT
Check your dp to manifold connections. A crank sensor wire can get pinched in there and short out causing the car no to start. Free it, cut out the bad and fix the wire and you should be good.
Alright, I'll give that a shot. When I replaced the flex pipe and I dropped the downpipe with the exhaust, I don't remember pinching anything. I'll still try it though. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2012, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

Well, I checked my dp to manifold connections are there were no pinches wires or anything like that. What else could be the problem? When I try to start it, the car just cranks and cranks but there's no ignition.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:46 PM
1st Gear

Hmm I've been doing some research and I think the Crank Position Sensor may be bad. I noticed that the tachometer didn't move when I was cranking the engine. I didn't see the wire for the sensor pinched or anything like Cincy suggested, but maybe it's just bad? Anyway to test it? Like with a multimeter, etc?

Old 03-30-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm make believe

I dont think so. It's just a big magnet at the end

Old 03-30-2012, 11:50 AM
2nd Gear

So you're saying there is spark or no? Just wanna confirm since you said no ignition.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

to figure out the crank speed sensor issue, i think i'm just gonna break down and buy a nice third party VAGCOM cable and the free software from Rosstech. It's not like I won't use it again, plus I'll be able to help out my buddy with an A4.

Originally Posted by DOC_DEPALMA
So you're saying there is spark or no? Just wanna confirm since you said no ignition.
there was spark when I pulled the plug. when i said no ignition i meant as in no explosion inside the cylinder.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:07 AM
1st Gear

Get a hold of a cylinder compression gauge... check compression on all cylinders... it could be a burned valve or some internal engine problem. Also to my understanding you checked cyl #4 for spark... did u check all the other cylinders for spark as well? assuming you did then i would suggest you replace or check to see if the crank sensor works.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:58 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FishEye
Get a hold of a cylinder compression gauge... check compression on all cylinders... it could be a burned valve or some internal engine problem. Also to my understanding you checked cyl #4 for spark... did u check all the other cylinders for spark as well? assuming you did then i would suggest you replace or check to see if the crank sensor works.
I was actually thinking about doing that today. Thankfully my dad has one I can borrow. I only checked cyl #4 for spark, I should probably go ahead and check the other ones as well. Hopefully it's something stupid like the crank sensor.

Quick Reply: Audi 2.8Q won't start :(