B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 1996 Standard Manual - No fuel pumping

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 02:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 1996 Standard Manual - No fuel pumping

Hi guys/girls hope all is well? I need some help with the following.

My baby was running fine until yesterday and then all of a sudden it felt like fuel is not reaching the engine. It stuttered for a while and then died but upon restarting I could drive again only for the problem to get worse until it completely died on me.

I checked the fuse box for the fuel pump fuse and it is fine. However there is no power running through that fuse at all. I checked this with a indicator light. In other words no power reaches the fuse. All other fuses get power.

Is this a relay problem - fuel pump relay? I also tried to check the fuel pump by connecting it directly to the battery but I heard nothing at all (although I have a feeling that that wont work without a relay)

Hope someone can shed some light? - thanks

Old 01-05-2014, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

It can be a relay, but it is most likely the fuel pump has stopped working based on the description you gave about how the car ran before it would no longer run.

Search this forum for further information on fuel pump issues and replacement. It is also a good idea, if you intend to perform work on this vehicle yourself, to obtain the Bentley workshop manual.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:55 PM
1st Gear

Thanks HBAudi.

The only thing that worries me a bit is that there is no power running through the fuse - can that happen if the fuel pump is broken?

Old 01-05-2014, 05:28 PM
2nd Gear

Check the power at the fuel pump in the trunk. Not that hard to get to. Or, if it's all quiet around you, and the car has been sitting for awhile, turn the key on, and you should be able to 'hear' it kick on.

This thread should help you:
no power to the fuel pump fuse - AudiWorld Forums

Old 01-06-2014, 11:06 AM
1st Gear

Hey all thanks for all the help so far.

I kinda tested the relays today and they all seem to be fine although I'm not 100% sure - can't find a diagram that relates to my right handed A4 1996 1.8 std?

After relay reinstall the car started perfectly but after a few minutes it ran outa fuel again and my problem was back - It felt good though for those few minutes LOL.

The only thing I can think is that somehow fuel got to the engine while it was standing - It was extremely hot yesterday and the car baked hot all day - Is it possible for fuel to get to the engine via heat pressure?

Thanks again all

Old 01-06-2014, 11:16 AM
2nd Gear

It sounds like what happened was that after re-install of relays, power got to where it was supposed to go to for a few minutes and then stopped, indicating a short? Loose wire? failing relay? But it does sound like a failing fuel pump.

All my schematics are for the left hand drive cars, be interesting to know if they just reversed it, or if the electrical components are the same...interesting....

I really don't think heat pressure would do that, it would evaporate the fuel, not push it through.

Hot? Where are you at? It's freezing where I'm at... -35 F with wind chill.....

Do you have any codes? Availability to get it scanned?

Old 01-06-2014, 11:23 AM
1st Gear

If not under pressure, fuel can vaporise within the fuel lines when the vehicle is hot.

Did you check to see if you have power to the fuel pump at the tank connector? Less than 9.0 volts and the fuel pump will not run.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:06 AM
1st Gear

Hi guys thanks so much for all the help and suggestions so far.

I am in South East coast of South Africa and it is summer!

I have now ruled out relays,fuses and wiring. Got a tester and checked the Voltage on fuel pump connector. 4 wires - Green and yellow thick with brown thick tests 11-12V but only if motor cranks (otherwise nothing) - Purple and brown thinner tests 5-6V (I assume this is fuel gauge?) also only when motor cranks.

Also on fuel pump fuse I get 11-12V and once again only when motor cranks.

So this leads me to believe that it must be the fuel pump?

My fuel pump is located in the trunk - I did open the seal but it seems that the actual pump is submerged in the fuel (I believe this is normal?)

Problem is I have no clue how to remove that from inside the tank and cannot find instruction on how to do this. I can feel what i think is the actual pump (not a lot of fuel in tank) but I have no clue how to unscrew it.

Any help will be super cool on this.

Regards

Old 01-08-2014, 08:04 AM
2nd Gear

Here's a link for a high pressure fuel pump, but it describes how to remove the fuel pump:

High-flow fuel pump install in an A4 (somewhat of a How-to) - AudiWorld Forums

If you have 12V to the fuel pump...generally that means it's good. It's only supposed to have power when the key is on....Are you sure the relay is good?

Here's another link to read through:

http://www.justanswer.com/audi/4v1pu...-5hrs-ago.html

Last edited by markymarc; 01-08-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

If that is the original '96 pump, it is almost certain that it is worn out. I've also got a '96, and have changed the pump three times: first put in a Chinese pump that failed after a year and a half, then another cheap pump because I thought that I might be selling the car soon, then finally to put in a real German VDO, because I was nervous about the second China pump. Also, I had decided that the '96 A4 was doing everything I needed from a car.

The pump is fairly easy to change, all the more so if your tank is empty, or nearly so. If you have to reach into the gasoline, you should be wearing long rubber gloves. The basic method is to disconnect the two fuel hoses and electrical connector and from the tank top. Then the large black plastic ring nut is unscrewed, which may require careful tapping on its rim with a mallet and piece of wood. Once unscrewed, the white plastic plug (which has the fuel and electrical fittings) can be pulled up from a rubber gasket, revealing the inside of the tank. The white plug has wiring connectors and hoses attached, and I have always disconnected the wires for the gauge, leaving everything else connected to the pump below. By reaching down to the pump assembly, you can grasp the cylindrical plastic part that has the actual pump in its center- you give that thing a 15 degree twist counter-clockwise with your hand, to unsnap if from the retaining part of the fuel tank. A really stuck one may require the use of a long screwdriver to apply some extra twist. Once loose, the whole thing is lifted out through the opening. On the bench, change the old pump with the new one, which probably will require discarding the one-time OE hose clamp for a proper band-clamp. Be careful with the corrogated plastic fuel hose, because if it cracks, you will have in internal leak into the tank which will lower fuel pressure. Take care with the electrical wire terminals, they are different sizes so they can't be mixed up, but be sure to use the lock washers. A loose connection here will stop the car! After that, pult it all back together and go for a drive.

Quick Reply: Audi A4 1996 Standard Manual - No fuel pumping