B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 2.8L Tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 12:23 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 2.8L Tune

I own a 2000 A4 2.8L Avant Quattro, and I want to do some tuning to it. Nothing too crazy, just getting rid of some warning lights, unneeded sensors, and the speed governor.

I looked into doing it with NefMoto software and a bench ECU setup, but after getting everything put together and ready to do some tuning I found out my ECU is a DBC ECU and not a DBW ECU. This basically means that I cannot tune with NefMoto.

So does anybody here knows other ways that I could tune my ECU, and if so can you please give me the most information possible. I tried some stuff with MPPS but don't know too much about it because not much is written about it like the NefMoto software. Ins short: What are my options?

Thanks.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TUTRider
I own a 2000 A4 2.8L Avant Quattro, and I want to do some tuning to it. Nothing too crazy, just getting rid of some warning lights, unneeded sensors, and the speed governor.

I looked into doing it with NefMoto software and a bench ECU setup, but after getting everything put together and ready to do some tuning I found out my ECU is a DBC ECU and not a DBW ECU. This basically means that I cannot tune with NefMoto.

So does anybody here knows other ways that I could tune my ECU, and if so can you please give me the most information possible. I tried some stuff with MPPS but don't know too much about it because not much is written about it like the NefMoto software. Ins short: What are my options?

Thanks.
First things first: You want to "get rid of warning lights"? And "unneeded sensors"? Perhaps the warning lights are on for a reason, and perhaps the sensors all have a job to do. But assuming that you disable all the warning lights, and locate some sensors to throw away, there isn't much to gain from so-called tuning. Your 2.8 is naturally-aspirated, and already breathes as much air as possible. About all that tuning can do is richen up the mixture and raise the RPM limiter setting.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Simple Stuff

It would be some simple stuff, like rear 02 sensors saying my CATs are bad but they aren't and front brake sensors saying my pads are worn but they have plenty of life to them. Yes all sensors and warning lights have a place and time, but in all honesty sometimes they annoy me and I have no need for them. I can tell when my pads are worn, when a headlight goes out, when the window washer fluid is low, etc. so having an orange light and beep staring me in the face is not my favorite.

Obviously I cannot change much to this engine, but some simple stuff would make it all the more worthwhile for me.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Power wise, a SpeedTuning chip is the best bet because you'll gain a couple hp maybe, just like the other ones out there, but it's a lot cheaper. They can remove the speed limiter, bump up redline, and optimize fuel and timing maps. I did drive a car with their chip and it smoothed out the slight flat spot around 3k RPM and gave a nice bump in midrange torque. What you'd want to do for the other stuff is ask them to:

1 - code out the rear O2 sensors
2 - code out the secondary air pump system since its prone to failure and is a somewhat involved job to replace, and costs over $200 for the part.

As for pads, cut off the sensor wires on the pads, and short the two wires on the car side of the harness together. That'll rid you of the pad warning.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Agreed

Already have done the brake wiring short, was just using it as an example.

But is there anything that could/should be done tuning wise to help improve performance (short of getting a tuner to plug into the OBDII port)?
Rev limiter, transmission shift intervals, etc.?

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:25 PM
Administrator

SpeedTuning chip for the engine for the reasons described above. For the trans, there is a Tip chip to change the shifting algorithms but it's pricey and you can just shift it in Tip yourself for the same results. There just isn't much for a 2.8 for power other than a supercharger or a nitrous setup. Bottom line is if you want to make more power, sell the car and get a turbo B5. Intakes don't gain power, exhausts don't gain power - bolt on-wise you're SOL.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
SpeedTuning chip for the engine for the reasons described above. For the trans, there is a Tip chip to change the shifting algorithms but it's pricey and you can just shift it in Tip yourself for the same results. There just isn't much for a 2.8 for power other than a supercharger or a nitrous setup. Bottom line is if you want to make more power, sell the car and get a turbo B5. Intakes don't gain power, exhausts don't gain power - bolt on-wise you're SOL.
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. Looks like I will just be getting a few things done to the ECU then and calling it good.

Thanks all!

Old 06-02-2015, 12:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Engine Swap questions

I own a 2001 audi A4 1.8 turbo and I need an engine swap due to a hole on the bottom of the engine block. How it got there is beyond me I did regular maintenance and it gave no indication of any engine problems beforehand. In fact the engine doesn't knock or sound differently (from before) when i add oil to it to find the "leak" which turned out to be a huge hole.
My question is if I want to swap the engine am I limited to the same engine of this year and model or can i swap it for an engine from say for example a 2002 audi s4?

Thank in advance for who ever replies