B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 (B5) CEL OBDII P0741 Emissions PSA...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 (B5) CEL OBDII P0741 Emissions PSA...

Just a public service announcement to get this indexed on the interwebs to possibly help others with the same issue. And FYI this is NOT intended to be advice or discussion regards whether the cause of the fault needs repair or how urgent it may be.

Had the above P0741 OBDII OBD2 code on my 1999 Audi a4 (B5) Avant Quattro (loading with search terms for teh Google). In my part of the state of WI, any check engine light code will fail the OBDII emissions check... even one for an issue relating more to tranny like this one. After reading here and elsewhere that the seal in the torque converter is likely the issue, and not eager to spend $1,500 to $3,000+ to replace said TC on a car not worth much more than that... I decided to see if I could get a "pass" without the expense of full repair. Again, I'm not debating whether it would be most prudent to do the repair, just that as the symptoms are negligible for my whip and have been that way for months and months... I'm not in a rush to do that work, maybe ever.

OK, I simply reset OBDII codes with my OBDII scan tool, then drove for approx. 20 miles over a couple days being gentle with all accelerations (especially uphill) and making sure to not go over 43 mph or so. When I checked the status of the 7 different categories on my system, only 1 showed "inc" (incomplete?) and no check engine light... so knowing our simple OBDII emissions test allows at least one incomplete category, I mosied on down to the closest inspection site using the same gentle slow touch on the gas pedal and voila!!! Passed the first time... no driving 50+ MPH for 2+ minutes, coasting down to 30 MPH, accelerating to 50+ MPH... blah, blah, blah.

FYI, the state report from the check showed the following data set;
Engine Misfire - Ready
Fuel System - Ready
Comprehensive - Ready
Catalytic Converter - Ready
Heated Catalyst - Unsupported
EVAP Control - NOT Ready <<< note incomplete category
Secondary Air - Unsupported
AC Refrigerant - Unsupported
O2 Sensor - Ready
Heated O2 Sensor - Ready
EGR Flow - Unsupported