B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi A4 B5 Ignition Switch 30amp burning

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 AM
1st Gear

Finally getting around to responding to this. Yeah they were all running through a wire that had a fuse on the end of it so I see your point. Maybe that is not the issue but it is a good idea to rid myself of that mess of haggled together wiring. So I installed the oem audi switch, much nicer looking tabs and such) and it works fine. Had to drill a hole in the connector to feed an insulated female tab connector through onto the 30 amp tab for the new switch. Cut off burnt section of wire and soldered some new 12 gauge wire on, then wrapped in heat shrink sleeve. Was a "pia" so no pics, was just frustrated due to limited soldering space. Reassembled and for now it is working normal. Will be buying another switch tomorrow just in case it happens again. If it does everything is coming apart. Also was curious if it could be a faulty ecm? I had an accident half a year ago ,with a tree that just jumped out in front of me, and had to rebuild the front driver frame rail, weld, etc. No biggie it is all fine now and looks perfect but could the ecm have suffered some brain damage? Reason I thought this is because two days ago started car in morning after parking it in my driveway night before, and it started like it was pissed off at the world. Rough idle that sorted out after 15seconds, and the abs light came on as well. Turned car off, scanned real quick, abs was front left driver speed sensor, but disappeared when I turned car back on, and it has been running strong since. Should I just add the mod of fire to the car and be done with it? And I looked in the ecm case for the first time ever, bone dry in there. The car is actually for the first time becoming an unreliable vehicle. Fml.